Chapter 9.

"You're going to run away?" Chris was dumbfounded.

"Yes." Briar wasn't joking.

She ran and gave Chris a hug. It didn't take long for her to run back up to her room. She grabbed her over stretched back pack and filled it with as much stuff as she could get her hands on. She knew that she still had to pack more than just clothes and she made sure she didn't forget those important items.

Briar quickly ran down the stairs and grabbed her house keys before running out her front door. Chris was still standing in the same spot where she had left him minutes ago.

"Thanks Chris!" She quickly gave him a kiss on the cheek before running off.

Chris was still in a confused shock, not really knowing what to do.

With her heavy bag on her shoulders she ran down the street hoping to catch up to Asa. She turned the corner and looked for him. It took a moment to spot him all the way down at the other end.

"Asa!" She tried to yell after him. Her attempt not working.

Briar continued to run. The weight of her bag was slowing her down, but she was still able to follow him.

"Asa please slow down!" She tried again. He still didn't hear her.

As she finally turned the next corner, Briar briefly caught a glimpse of Asa walking into a house. It was clearly his. She took her time making her way there. In her head, she thought of what to say when someone opened the door.

Standing in front of his front door, she never could imagine being this nervous. She took in a deep breath and finally gave her first tapping on the door. Soon after a woman answered.

"Oh hello, what could I help you with?" The woman had a big smile on her face.

"Hi..." Briar was still feeling the nervousness. "Is Asa home?... He forgot his..." She pulled the first thing from the closest pocket in her bag. "...Keys. Uh... The keys for the science lab at school."

The woman looked at the keys wondering why there was so many keychains attached to it. She didn't question it. "I wasn't aware that Asa had a science class this semestre."

Briar came up with a quick lie, " Oh he doesn't. He's helping me with some homework and stuff."

"How nice." The woman smiled again. "Why don't you come in."

"Thanks." She told the woman as she lead her in to the house.

Briar was mesmerized by how big the house's foyer was. There was the traditional long curved staircase that she saw in almost every movie about some random rich person. It was almost a fairy tale and from the outside you wouldn't expect something like it to fit inside.

"Asa you have a friend!" The woman yelled up to him.

"Coming!" And within seconds Asa was standing at the top of the stairs.

Briar looked up at him and on the inside she felt her heart melt. She could barely keep her feelings at bay. He stood there with so much power that it took over her entire being. She seemed to get lost in all of him.

"Oh, uh... Hi Briar." Asa was surprised to see her in his home. "What are you doing here?" He was coming down the stairs.

It took Briar a second to snap out of her trance, "Hi Asa. Um... You forgot the keys to the science lab."

Asa was catching on that Briar wasn't just there to hand him the keys to her house. He knew that she needed to talk to him.

"Thanks." He grabbed the keys from her. "I guess I should pay more attention where I leave these." He smiled down to his feet. He knew he had to get rid of his mother for a second. "Mother, could you give us a minute?"