Chapter 14.

Briar woke up the next morning softly laying her head on Asa's chest. He was still fast asleep. Through the curtains of the window, sunlight was shining in. She took a look at the time, it was almost ten o'clock. She slowly got herself up, not wanting to disturb Asa. That had been their first night getting the sleep they deserved.

She walked over to her back pack and chose an outfit appropriate for the warm weather of Percé. She quickly put it on and brushed her hair back in to a ponytail. Asa was still sleeping. She quietly slid the door to the balcony open and stepped outside. In the distance she could hear birds chirping once again.

"You're up..." Asa walked out to join her, still half asleep.

She turned to him, "I didn't hear you get up, I hope I didn't wake you."

He gave her a smile, "No you didn't." He gave her a kiss on her forehead.

"Now go get dressed." Briar didn't hesitate. "It's my turn to take you on a date."

"Okay." He said still flaked out.

Asa wasn't someone who took long to get ready. Like Briar, he wore something that wouldn't be too warm.

"Lets go." She grabbed the keys to the room as she headed out.

Asa followed, "So where are we going?"

"We are going to get breakfast." She smirked.

She waltzed down the stairs and made her way with Asa to a restaurant that was nearby. It was busy that moring, but they were quickly taken care of. They ordered coffee and then their food. It didn't take long for it to arrive. They ate the pancakes that Briar had ordered and smuttered them with maple syrup. Asa's face was completely sticky by the time they were done. He quickly washed it off in the washroom. Briar payed for the bill in the meantime.

"Now what?" He asked her.

She pointed across the street to a sign. It was hard for Asa to see it at first, but he managed to read what it said.

"A whale watching cruise?" He was puzzled.

"I thought it would be fun. It's something different and we sure wont see anything like this at home." She told him.

He took her hand firmly, "Let's do it!"

They quickly looked both ways before running over to the ticket booth. Asa walked in to go buy the tickets. Within a minute he was back out with the two boarding passes and rain ponchos.

"They leave in a half hour. The lady said not to go too far." He told her.

Eventually, along with other tourists, they were called to go and board the boat. It was big enough to fit atleast twenty people. Briar carefully stepped on, being careful not to fall over. She helped Asa once she was okay. It only took a couple of minutes for everyone to be seated.

"Ladies and Gentlemen." The captain of the boat started to speak, he too with a french accent. "Welcome aboard. We ask that you keep your hands and feet in the boat at all times for safety. Now I hope you enjoy your ride with us today and hopefully we will have the chance to see some whales."

The motor was turned on and blarred a loud rumbling noise as it started up. In a matter of seconds, they were going so fast that it felt like they were floating over the water. Briar held on to Asa's arm as tight as she could for fear of falling out of the boat. She was thankful for the ponchos as it didn't take long for water to be flying right at her face. It had only been twenty minutes, but somehow she was soaking wet and so was Asa. They made their way around an island, still on the lookout for whales. They spent some time searching the nearby waters for any sign of life, but there was nothing. Then The boat continued and headed toward Percé rock itself.

After a little while longer and still no luck, the boat was just about to head back to the docks. Then out of the corner of her eye, Briar spotted something moving.

"Hey! What's that!" She pointed to it.

The captain of the boat took a look, "Well would you look at that!"

Everyones head turned to see and sure enough the back of a small whale could be seen at the surface of the water.

"How cute." Asa said.

Briar looked at him with an expresson that seemed new to the both of them, "Did you just call it cute?"

"Yeah. What's wrong with that?"

"I didn't expect you to be someone to call things cute." She laughed.

He tried to keep his laughter to himself, but it was getting hard. "There's nothing wrong with calling something cute. I think you're cute."

"No you think I'm hot." She corrected him.

"Yeah, okay, but maybe that whale wanted to hear that it was cute and I just made its day." He couldn't win.

"You're so full of it." The grin on Briars face was hard not to be noticed.

"I love you whale!" He shouted to it. "I'm going to name my first kid after you!" Now he was just having fun.

"Stop it." Her laughter still overpowering her almost non-existent seriousness.

"You see Whaley," He was pretending to talk to Briar's stomac, "That's the whale we named you after."

"Come on." She still couldn't stop lauging.

Asa was still in his sillyness mode, but it didn't stop him from kissing Briar. He looked at her with such passion. He knew that he would never find anybody like her. He thought of how people would think of him, people he knew. They would think he's crazy, but there was no way that someone would take her away from him.

The whale had swam off and the boat started to returned to the docks. Asa kept his arms rapped around Briar in the hopes that he could keep her warm. He looked up to the sky, clouds were starting to roll in. They didn't seem to be gentle.

Getting off the boat, Asa went first. Then he helped Briar and just as they touched ground, the first rain drop fell. Then another one followed by more and more. In just a few moments it was a raining waterfalls.

Quickly Asa thanked the Captain of the boat, then took Briar's hand and started to run. They were trying to make it back to the motel, but it was getting worse. Asa spotted a bar and they ran inside.

"Bienvenue. Venez prendre quelque chose à boire pendant qu'il pleu." The bartender told them.

"Merci." Asa replied. "Deux chocolat chaud s'il vous plait."

The bartender nodded. They both sat down at the bar. The radio was playing some french music, it was nothing Briar knew, but Asa seemed to know a couple of songs. The next thing they knew, their hot chocolates had arrived.

Briar looked to the bartender, "Thanks."

He nodded again then pointed to the radio, "Would you like to écoute the radio in anglais?" His English wasn't the best.

"Yes please." Briar smiled.

He went through the different radio frequencies until he came upon the right station. It was the news. Briar appreciated it, she had pretty much been oblivious to what was happening everywhere else for the past four days. She sipped her drink for a while listening to the news, Asa did the same.

"The rain is expected to go on until about eight o'clock tonight, then a sunny day tomorrow. Into the week there's only a couple small showers that will be passing through on Saturday and a little on Sunday morning. In other news, the search is still on for two teens who went missing on Tuesday evening. It was reported by one of the teens parents, when their son didn't come home. It's believed the teen girl he's travelling with may have kidnapped him. The boy is believed to be around 5ft 11 inches with blond hair and blue eyes. The girl is around 5ft 8 inches with brown hair and brown eyes.They are believed to have fled to somewhere in the Gaspésie area. Police believe they are close to finding them, but if anyone has any information, they are asking you to report it to the nearest police station."

Her heart didn't skip a beat, she turned to Asa. Briar's eyes screamed HELP ME. Asa's expression was one of disbelief. He took out cash from his pocket and left it on the bar. He grabbed Briar's hand and they ran.