Chapter Seven

It didn't take long for Sans to treat and bandage up my burns. He was also quick to throw my original clothing in the laundry, but tossed away my shirt, saying that it was too damaged to be used anymore.

"Well, what am I gonna wear then?" I asked, picking at the bandage. Sans lightly swatted at my hand to stop me from ruining the cover.

"I'll take you to the store later and we could pick something out."

"We?"

"You'll be too flashy in green, kid." He glanced up at me. "Everyone down here has an obsession with wearing red and black, don't ask me why. I'm just gonna be there to make sure you don't chose anything that'll get you killed."

I frowned at his statement.

"Isn't me being human enough to get me killed?"

"Being human and green will get you even more killed." Sans growled, suggesting for me to stop arguing with him. I followed that warning. He then placed his hand on my neck, now checking for temperature again. "How you feeling?"

"A lot better." I reported, now feeling the life in my fingers and toes creep into me again. My joints didn't feel locked in place, which was good, and my face was starting to tingle back to life.

"Good. You are starting to feel a little warmer." Sans muttered, glancing over at me and tightly wrapping another blanket around me. All I could really imagine was how much of a tight bundle I looked like. Weird.

Before I could start talking, I heard a faded door crash open (I assumed it was the front door) and close, and then a series of thuds rushing up the stairs. Sans' eye sockets widened in surprise as he whipped his head towards the door, and watched as Papyrus swung open the wooden entrance.

"BROTHER, GUESS-" Papyrus stopped mid-sentence, his eyes wide with shock. I watched as his stare shifted from Sans to me and back at Sans again. "SANS. WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THE HUMAN?"

"Eh...patching them up?" Sans said, almost skeptical with his actions. I started to feel cautious, almost on end with the sudden threat, causing myself to pull the blanket off of myself.

"SANS, THAT IS MY HUMAN."

"Oh? Your human?" Sans asked, almost surprised with Papyrus' claim.

"YES, SANS. NOW GO PUT HER BACK IN THE GARAGE."

I felt the tension reach to my chest, now sending fuzzy signals of nerves all around my body. Under that stress, I began to slip my arms within Sans' jacket to help clear my head.

"Papyrus." Sans began to chuckle a bit, now fully facing his brother. "Remind me who caught the human in first place."

"SANS." Papyrus was now mimicking Sans' calm tone. "REMIND ME WHO GAVE ME THE HUMAN."

"Ah, silly, younger brother of mine. Is it your birthday? No." Sans chuckled, now giving his brother a slightly, irritated glance. "Gifts out of the blue should be seen as suspicious. I took advantage of you, Papyrus. Why can't you understand that if I could get you to do stuff for me that easily, you're never going to be apart of the Royal Guard?"

Papyrus blew up over that comment and flung a bone at Sans out of his anger, causing me to let out a yelp and jump off the bed. Sans was quick to send his own bone at the incoming attack, blocking off the offense.

"DO NOT DOUBT MY INTELLECT, SANS." Papyrus snapped, now approaching Sans in hot fury. I didn't know what to do in a situation like this. Normally up at the surface, when kids got into fights, I was pretty good at breaking them apart because I had the authority and the power to do so. But here....I didn't have a speck of respect.

"I'm not doubting your intellect, Papyrus." Sans said, his eye now flaring red. "I'm simply teaching you some lessons. Learn from them."

"LESSONS?" Papyrus only crackled in laughter from that comment. "YOU DONT CARE WHETHER I JOIN THE DAMN GUARD OR NOT."

"Oh-"

"IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU THINK ANYMORE ANYWAYS. UNDYNE IS COMING FOR THE HUMAN THIS INSTANT AND I AM OFFICIALLY APART OF THE ROYAL GUARD FROM THIS POINT FORWARD." Papyrus grinned, now full of pride. "WHEN SHE HEARS THAT YOU STOLE THE HUMAN FROM ME, SHE WON'T BE VERY HAPPY."

I watched from behind Sans, seeing the sweat that began to fall down the back of his skull. The red magic coming from his eye stopped and his posture straightened up in disbelief.

"You already told Undyne?"

"WHO DO YOU THINK I AM, SANS? OF COURSE, I TOLD UNDYNE."

"Oh shit..." Sans immediately turned to me and grabbed my hand. With a sudden blink of light, I found myself outside of his house. There were monsters everywhere, and they all saw me, sending their own bizarre glance.

"Sans, what's happening?" I asked him, now feeling somewhat frantic under the stares of all the monsters.

"Kid, Undyne is already here and she's gonna-"

"Well, fuck yeah, I'm already here!" There was a woman's voice that booked through Snowdin, and out of the fog, emerged a tall, lean fish lady. I easily identified her as Undyne and like everyone else, she had her own dramatic set of black and red. "Sans, I demand you give me the human now, under the orders of myself, Captain of the Royal Guard, and the King."

"Then I guess I'm resisting orders," Sans' voice lowered into a growl, "Captain."

I watched as Undyne smirked and sent out a laugh of mockery at the skeleton.

"You are aware that I am not afraid to kill you, right? Just 'cause you're Papyrus' brother, doesn't mean that you get off the hook, especially if you're in possession of the human."

She seemed to have been enjoying Sans' resistance, especially with the creation of a circle around us from the nearby monsters. She appeared to have liked the attention.

"Yeah." Sans then turned to me, now flaring his eye into a burst of red, yet again. "Get behind me, kid. This isn't going to be pretty."

I hurried behind him, now peeking out from behind his shoulder. I didn't know what to do. I was never the type to attack someone, especially in a fight.

"Say your prayers, Sans." Undyne chuckled and proceeded to send blue, energy spears at him. Sans blocked them off with what appeared to be a huge, skeletal head. The head then turned to face Undyne, letting out a laser-like beam towards her direction, causing for snow to fly and lessen our visability. 

I worked my way next to Sans, watching a grin appear on his face, but I could easily tell that he was very unsure of himself. Sweat was rolling down his face, and he already appeared exhausted.

"Sans?"

"Not now, kid." He huffed, trying to get a feel for where Undyne was. "She's still here."

I nodded and scanned the premises as well, trying to spot her out. But, with the direction I chose to look at, Undyne didn't show herself there. Sans caught her on the other side, now trying to fight her off. I was about to face the battle, when I heard Papyrus break open the door.

"HEY, HUMAN!"

I found myself immediately flipping towards the direction of the new voice, only to feel something rip through my chest. My heart and lungs tightened at the sudden pressure, and eventually, I felt pain rush through my body. I staggered backwards in the snow, struggling to breathe. Coughs began to choke themselves out of me, trying for a gasp of air. Everywhere, monsters roared at the offense, and when I brought myself to look at my wound, I figured that they were cheering for the blood too.

There was a bone, dug well into my chest. That green heart of mine was glowing upon the wound, now beating along with my quickened heartbeat.

I felt my vision grow blurry, and my world spun as I hit the snow.

"S-sans..." I found that my voice came out as a whisper. My voice box has already lost itself. My hearing grew faded, and the black started to eat away at my vision. "S-sans...?"

And I was killed for the second time that day.

"There are some lessons that need to be taught, and more importantly....learned."