Chapter Twenty Eight

-Athena's POV-

"You see, and then I duck like this," Red Hood narrated, "and you aren't prepared." His gloved knuckles whacked the back of my head. Again.

I swung a right hook, but he jumped to the side, going underneath my arm. "Now that your arm is outstretched," He scooped up under my shoulder and shoved me to the ground, "I can place you in an arm bar and hold you flat against the floor."

My right cheek was smushed against the cushion of the ring as hair from my ponytail fell into my face. I narrowed my eyes. I was getting sick of Red Hood's ego. I was trained by the League of Assassins. The only person who could beat me was Ra's Al Ghul himself.

Remembering all that Ra's had taught me about bars, I flung the top half of my body up in hopes that it would send him off of me.

Red didn't budge.

It was like he knew every move I had learned at the Temple! Every signature move I used, he counteracted. I didn't know how he was doing it, but I knew I had to change up my strategy.

Begrudgingly, I thought on some of the moves Dick had taught me. I thought back to my Silk Birds days, embracing my flexibility and smoothness.

I arched my back slowly, facing him. When my back was all the way arched, I head butted him under his chin with the top of my head. Red flew off of me like I had tried to do earlier. I grinned and dropped down on him.

I pushed him so his feet hung outside the ring. I pressed my back against the ring ropes and held down his wrists. He stared up at me. "Nice job. That one's new," Red grinned. I couldn't help but smile back.

The thing about training with the Red Hood was that he really kicked my ass. When I fought him, he made me feel frustrated and insecure. He made me feel like I wasn't the invulnerable fighter I had always thought I was.

But, when I did something good, he would always smile. I could see that he was genuinely proud of me. It was a look I had craved since my parents were killed. To have someone be proud of me was like a drug. I was addicted to pleasing others. Ra's had taken advantage of that by faking his approval of me. I had never known what it was like to be truly appreciated until I met Dick.

My willingness to prove myself to Dick was what ended everything.

So, when Red Hood flashed me his pearly whites as he looked up at me, I felt a warm shiver swim through my blood. It had been so long.

After we both realized that we had been staring for a little too long, I cleared my throat. I eased up on the pressure I was applying to him. He grabbed my wrists and sat straight up, pulling me onto his lap. Gently, his fingers wrapped around my waist as he lifted me off, dropping me beside him. He stood up and exited the ring.

I followed his lead and grabbed a towel. I wiped the sweat off of my face and neck before grabbing a water bottle from his tiny fridge. Just like always, Red held a beer, drinking from it like he was dehydrated. I giggled quietly and softly.

"I think that's enough work for today," Red said, putting his beer down and leaning against his work table, "the information Black Mask's old lady gave us was a breakthrough. You have done good work, you deserve to take a break."

I laughed and cocked my head to the side. "Where's the Red Hood I know and what have you done with him, Clayface?" I crossed my arms.

Red Hood chuckled and swatted at me. "I was just saying that we have time. And that everyone deserves a night off."

"Including you?" I smirked.

"I'm busy," Red Hood turned around and searched something on his laptop. I pouted my lips, trying not to be too brutal towards his hypocrisy.