Chapter Fifty Seven

-Athena's POV-

I unlocked my warehouse. 

After Dick and I finished cleaning up Bludhaven -- which was still in shambles, but we were ushered out after working for 72 hours straight -- Dick and I went to get drinks at an old bar we used to go to when we were dating. 

"So..." Dick said, sipping on his beer, "...your boyfriend tried to kill me."

I chuckled. "He did, didn't he?"  I leaned back in the booth. When Dick and I were together, we always sat at the bar in the uncomfortable stools, laughing, drinking, and arguing over whatever game was on the TV. Back then, we were both underage, but our notoriety was enough to get us past any bouncers. 

Now, I had chosen the booth. Almost on instinct, we both gravitated to the bar where so many drunken make out sessions occurred. I had to remind myself of everything that we both had been through. It wasn't that easy to forget.

Neither of us made eye contact. We both just fiddled with the ice in our glasses. "Did you know that Jason was...?"

"Yeah," I nodded, keeping my eyes trained on the single caramel colored ice cube floating in my whiskey, "he told me everything."

"Did he know that we...?"

"Yes. I told him everything, too."

"Everything?" Dick's voice wavered. He looked at me, waiting for me to make contact. I could hear the pain in his tone and the desperation in his heart. I still refused to glance up. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see those ocean irises trained on me. 

I knew what he was thinking. It had taken months for me to tell Dick the full truth about me and I had to use a video to do it. Even then, I still had so many things I had shared with Jason but still hadn't told Dick. The weird thing was I felt just as close to Dick as I was to Jason. They both meant the world to me. Even though I was so fucking pissed at Jay.

"Jason is just as fucked up as I am, Dick. We both shared things that no one else would understand," I vocalized, finishing off my whiskey.

Dick sighed and nodded slowly. "Okay. I'm sorry. I understand," he pushed his beer to the side, "you know, I don't think I've ever felt worse about anything than I feel about you and Jason." He laughed. I looked up and grinned.

"Jason died and everyone around me was killed. We had a lot to bond over," I fired back.

"Except you got over your crazy phase. He exploded Bludhaven." Dick was criticizing Jason. His argument was valid, but I couldn't help but feel fiercely defensive. I kept my mouth closed, though. I was mad at Jason too. But, he was still my friend, if nothing else. 

I crossed my arms and stared at the TV over Dick's shoulder. A hockey game was on. 

"Next time I see him, I have to arrest him," Dick decided, "he's my brother and all, but he's a criminal now. I can't believe he went down this path. Can you?"

"Yes, I can," I snapped, sitting straight up and glaring at him a little, "Jason had some pretty awful experiences. If you aren't put in the right place when things like that happen, you end up doing some pretty bad things." 

Dick looked shocked. He leaned back. "Well, maybe you believe that, but you weren't there when that bomb went off or when all those people were killed. Jason has changed. I can acknowledge that it isn't his fault, but he's still the way he is. And the place for people like Jason is jail."

"Whatever, Dick. You know that I will protect him. Even if I have to protect him from you." My words were sinister and ferocious, conveying my fierce attitude.