Chapter 14

When we all get to the tracks, Dauntless and transfers, we wait. The train's horn goes off and I hear one of the girls ask "Are we supposed to jump on that?" 

I turn to her and calmly say "Yes. And if you don't, you become factionless."

I start to run but stay with the transfers. We all get into the same car along with a few other Dauntless. I see that two of them are Zeke and Shauna. I go up to them and give them a hug.

"Hey sorry about Carter. I know you guys were best friends." Shauna says with sadness coating her voice.

"Its okay. Besides I'm going to stop by his apartment when we get back and get a few things of his to keep before his parents throws it all away." I say

"Yeah. They probably know that you will do that anyway." Zeke says.

"So...I'm training with you guys." I say.

"Yep. Sorry kiddo but that's what you get for shooting me in the ass with a paintball" Zeke says. I giggle a little.

"Ok let's see my competition." I say turning around.

There are six Candor, three Erudite, no Amity and one Abnegation. Strange, there has only been two Abnegation transfers and that was my mom and dad. Well, I know the first transfer I'm going to become friends with. 

He is taller than me and very muscular. Brown hair that is cut short, but will grow out soon, and hazel eyes that seem to turn blue and green in the sun. He looks kind of shy but he doesn't show it. I think of a younger version of my dad but with different facial features. More of body structure on my dad's part.

"Introduce yourself" Zeke whispers to me.

"Nice or not?" I ask grinning.

Shauna and Zeke share a glance at each other then reply "Not."

I nod and turn my attention back to the transfers.

"Hey listen up." everyone gets quiet and turns to me. "I will be training with you guys this year-"

"Ha. Think you can't handle the Dauntless-born" says a random voice. I look to who voiced their opinion and just who I thought it was, that Erudite. 

"For your information, I am the daughter of two people who ranked first in their class and they are the instructors for the Dauntless-born. I'm with you transfers because Max doesn't want anyone to think my rankings are because of favoritism." I shout over the sound of the train.

"Yeah, and who is Max. Your little pet?" he says smirking because he feels more powerful than me. I look back at Zeke with a look of determination. He knows what I want to do and I'm asking for permission. He nods. I smirk.

"No. He is the leader of Dauntless. And if you keep your smart-ass comments coming, I will promise you, you will end up at the bottom of the chasm." I say.

He comes straight up to me and punches me in the jaw. I am surprised but I don't let any emotions show.

"Is that the best you can do to an unprepared fighter? Pathetic." I say. I kick him square in the chest and he falls to the ground. He grabs my foot and pulls me to the ground but I kick him with my other foot and get back on my feet. He is holding his side as he gets back up. Fury burning in his eyes. Well, eye. The other one is still bruised.

Before he could charge at me, Zeke and Shauna come to restrain him. He punches Shauna in the jaw. Bad move dude.

Zeke gives him a death glare and then the Erudite is on the ground, on his back being punch in his stomach. "YOU.....DO.....NOT......PUNCH......HER!" he yells between each punch.

I go over to Shauna to look at her cheek. She's not unconscious but her jaw has a bruise.

"Zeke. It's time to jump." Shauna yells.

Zeke gets up and throws an unconscious Erudite over his shoulder. We look at him confused but then I remember what he did. I'm completely fine with this outcome.

"Wait. We have to jump onto a roof?" the Abnegation boy says watching the others jump off first. 

"Yep" I say.

I get everyone in front of me and practically push them out. I am the last to jump but I make it. I look around and I don't see the Stiff.

"Hey! Help me!" I hear and go over to the side of the building. He is hanging on by his hand. I look over my shoulder and no one is watching. 

"Here. Give your other hand." I say calmly reaching down to the hand that slipped. He takes hold of my hand and I grip onto his. I start to pull but I slip a little. He let's out a small quiet scream but I don't say anything about it. 

I reposition my footing and haul him up and over the side. He is sweating like crazy and has a red face. 

"You almost died there. Now you own me." I say in a joking voice to lighten up the mood.

He smiles and says "Okay, fine."

We both get up and wipe off our clothes and head over to the crowd. We are not the last there and we are not really noticed. Well not the Abnegation, just me. Have I mentioned that I am pretty well known here.

I see Eric and Max at the front of the group and I pull the Stiff to the front.

They begin their speech...