Chapter 8

It's been two weeks and today is the Aptitude Test. Its just a regular day but I had to get up a little earlier so my mom can give me a hair cut. I sit there and watch my black hair fall to the ground. I don't really like having short hair but its mandatory. Well at least in this family.

We have a half day, kind of, at school. We go to the same classes like we do in the morning but when lunch comes, we can go straight home. I bet some Erudite will stay behind so they can go to the library or something. 

The day passes pretty quickly until it's time to go to the cafeteria. There are five sections, all sitting doing whatever they usually do. The Amity are playing some game that involves high fiving the other person over and over again. Candor argue about some topic that they would usually discuss about during lunch. Waving their arms in the air with their mouths open wide, words spilling out of them. Abnegation, where they sit quietly and wait for their name to be called. Erudite, where there are numerous people with their head in a book or sharing what they learned earlier today. 

Then there is Dauntless. We are shouting and laughing and I see a few of them playing cards. Probably poker. As we sit there waiting for our names to be called, we play Candor or Dauntless, but without the penalty. The penalty is that you have to take off a piece of clothing not including shoes or socks. 

"From Dauntless: Ashley Eaton and Katlyn Fray"

I quickly wipe my palms on my pants and proceed to one of the doors. I hear a bunch of shouts and whoops for us and I quickly look back and smile at the idiots. When we get to the doors, I give her a thumbs up and she whispers good luck girl. I smile and mouth 'you too girly'.

The doors open and I walk inside. To my surprise, Caleb is standing by the chair waiting for me with a shocked look. "Well, hello there. Do I know you?" he jokes.

"Hey Uncle Caleb. You administer the test?" I ask.

"Yes. Well, when I take time off from substituting." he replies. "Oh and of course putting up with my annoying niece."

I stick my tongue out at his comment and walk over to the chair hesitantly. He replies by sticking his tongue out at me but making it seem more immature.

When I get to the chair and take a seat, Caleb comes over to me with a little cup and wires. "Here. Drink this. It will start up the stimulation."

He starts to connect wires to my head as I examine the liquid. Its a little foggy and has a slight odor to it but I don't really acknowledge it. Drinking it, I realize that it tastes of rotting vegetables that have been sitting outside for too long. 

Relaxing, I rub my arm muscles trying to get them to stop tensing up. Massaging them. I try to stay away from being nervous. The feeling makes me feel weak, which is something I will never be.

"You know, you act a lot like your parents. Wiping your hands on  your pants is your mother and hiding your emotions comes from your father. " Caleb says obviously he has compared me to them before. 

I nod in response and lean back in the chair. The serum pulls me under. Well more like drags me down. Finally it gets me down to its destination and everything around me goes black.