Chapter 20

Austin PoV

I can't believe that I just kissed Ash. Only on the forehead but still. I probably lost all chances I had with her. Besides she probably has all the guys swooning over her. I see how every guy she passes does a double take.

I wish she liked me back but we are just friends. She probably thinks of us as just friends. Besides its always awkward between us whenever we are alone.

"Um, Austin, is it?" a voice says at the door. I am still looking at Ash. She looks so peaceful when she's sleeping. Not like she just got shot in the leg not even two hours ago.

" Yes." I say still not looking at who it is.

"Um, Zeke needs you back in the training room. He has an announcement." the voice says. I finally turn around and see a woman with blonde hair standing at the door. Tris, or Six. Whichever.

"Okay, do you know what its about?" I ask.

"I'm pretty sure it has something to do with initiation." she says .

"okay." I say hesitant to leave Ash's side.

When I do, Ash's mom stops me for a second, "Don't worry, she'll be alright. She's strong."

"I know." then I leave the hospital and head to the training room.

On my way there I hear someone say Ash's name but not in a good way. It sounds like they are planning something. I go up to the next intersection and look to the left. Nothing. To the right. Someone punches me straight in the nose.

"Fuck off Stiff! This isn't any of your business" Jack says.

"You asshole" I yell "I wasn't getting into your bullshit! I was going to the training room."

"Whatever Stiff. Keep moving." says the girl to his right, I think her name is Heaven. How ironic.

I keep walking down the hallway. I should tell Ash and her family.

I walk into the training room and see Zeke, Shauna and Four standing at the front of the class.

"Looks like the Stiff took too many blows to the head. You know what 'on time' means right." Jack says and his little pack snickers. His pack of his and himself must have run here.

Four sends them a death glare.

"Okay, since all of the initiates are here let's start the announcement." Shauna says.

"This year's initiation will be a little different considering recent events." Four says shooting another glare at the Erudite group. "Initiation will continue tomorrow but we will be doing stage two and then stage one and finally stage three."

"We are changing initiation just because some girl got shot in the leg?" argues Ashton. "She was being a coward by running away. She should have stayed and fought."

" No. You guys were bullying her and bullying people is an act of a coward. Which makes you a coward." Six says walking into the training room.

All of the Erudite were about to start arguing but Four marches up to them and whispered something in his low voice. When he pulls away, they all have scared looks on their faces while Four looks more threatening than before. I wonder what he said.

"Well then," Four says walking away from them, "we will be continuing initiation tomorrow. Now get out of my sight, except you Erudite."

They stand frozen to where they are as everyone else exits the room. I wall up to Four and Six.

"Can I go back to Ash's room and see how she's doing?" I ask looking at Four and Six in the eyes. I want to show them that I can keep her safe. For now anyway.

They share a glance then they both nod. I am about to turn around and leave but I remember something.

"Oh and I heard the Erudite kids talking about something. It sounded like they were planning something and I heard Ash's name mentioned in it." I say.

"Oh." Four says slowly "They did?"

"Yes." I say.

"Well thank you." Six says.

"Your welcome Four and Six." I say.

"Wait, um you can call me Tris." Si-Tris says. "Besides you and my daughter seem to be getting along."

"Okay Tris. See you guys tomorrow." I say turning around and leaving. Well that got kind of awkward...

Either way, back to Ash...