Chapter 13

I don't really listen to what Marcus is saying. I just start to brush my hair out with my fingers. When my hair falls to my shoulders sooner than I expected, I wonder why. Then I remember that my mom gave me a hair cut the other day.

I really despise today. I know what I'm going to choose but it won't be the safest for me. I really don't care though, honestly. I love living life to the fullest. Its just so much fun and exhilarating.

I look down at my hair and think. Any other faction would frown upon my behavior. Being crazy and risking my life just for the fun of it. 

Looking over at my mom and dad, I see how happy they are together. How the whole Dauntless thing hasn't ruined their relationship between them and I love seeing them this happy. Shifting my gaze over to Carter, I realize that he is shaking all over. I want to give him another hug, but its no use. Instead, I take his hand and squeeze it. He squeezes back but keeps his grip.

"Friends Forever.. Right." I whisper to him.

He nods.

I see someone go up and take their knife, cut into their hand and choose to stay with their faction.

I watch each one go up. I see the Erudite that challenged me, approach the stage, cut his hand and puts it over the coals. He walks to the back of the line and none of the Dauntless cheer. They give him death glares. 

I wonder why? Then I remember that the news spread fast about him pushing me out of the train and him challenging me. Almost every Dauntless loves me, and now they hate him. I smirk at this.

I start to think of the things that the Dauntless will do to him. If he stays in Dauntless, I guess I have someone to throw over into the chasm. 

Then I see Carter get up shakily and walk to the stage. He cuts into his hand. He looks down at his hand and then at the Dauntless bowl and then the Erudite bowl.

No. He couldn't

He thrusts his hand over to the Erudite bowl and lets the blood drop. Every Dauntless in the room is quiet. The Erudites all smirk. I want to punch them all so bad. 

He chose Erudite. My best friend from Dauntless, chose to be an intelligent coward instead of a brave fighter. I watch him walk to the back of the blue line. 

I need to ask Caleb to keep him safe. I don't care if he did betray his home faction, he is still my best friend.

'Ashley... Eaton" Marcus says realizing that I am his granddaughter.

I get up and walk to the stage. I take the knife from Marcus and stand in front of the Dauntless bowl. Cut my hand and let my blood drip into the coals and let it sizzle. I am not a coward. I am brave. Just like my family. I walk to the back of the Dauntless line, which just happens to be next to Erudite.

I look over at Carter. He keeps his head bent and away from me. Once I make it to the end of the line, we are across from each other. He finally looks over at me. Pain in every centimeter of his eyes. He's still my best friend.

"Good luck" I whisper to him with a weak smile. Carter lets a small smile appear on his face. The pain leaves his eyes but is replaced with guilt and sadness. "Its okay. Best friend forever, right?"

"Thank you so much. I thought you would be mad at me. And best friends forever." he whispers back.

A genuine smile finds my face and I nod to him. "Tell Caleb I say hi and we can still text."

Carter nods his head in response. Then all of a sudden I hears screams and shouts and feet stomping. 

"Its time for you to go. Tell everyone I say bye and that I'm sorry." Carter says louder this time.

"Okay Carter. See you around." I say giving him a hug "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too Ash. Don't forget me. Stay strong and be brave." Carter says as I begin to run out of the room.