Chapter 19

I wake up with gauze wrapped around my leg and everyone staring at me.

"What?" I ask

"You. You are finally awake." Jakob says. That's pretty weird because he is the quietest out of all of us.

"Oh." I say looking by down at my leg. They removed my new combat boots to get the bullet out properly.

"Why hello Ash." Marlene says walking in, "You are making a great recovery considering this is your first time being shot. I honestly think that by the end of the day, you won't feel any pain, but you might be sore"

I nod. "So will I be ready to fight?"

She looks at me and then my dad and mom then at Zeke and Shauna. "I think you shouldn't fight the first day but the second day you can." 

"Okay" I say feeling a little happy but also a little sad. I was looking forward to fighting. "Oh and can I sleep at our apartment or do I have to sleep here?"

"Well, I guess if you feel well by the end of the day, your dad will come and get you. You can sleep in your bed. But for right now, we are going to leave and let you rest but you have another visitor." my mom says. They all leave as another person walks in. 

"Hey Austin." I say.

"Hey Ash, so how's your leg." he says sitting at the edge of the bed looking at my calf.

"Well, it kind of feels like it was shot but Marlene said that I could probably be up and moving by tomorrow." I say.

"Okay," he says laughing, "You know you're Dauntless when you get shot one day and are up one your feet the next."

"Yeah. Some say I may be a little too much Dauntless, but I don't really care." I say giggling.

"I bet you are." he says laughing to himself "Well I brought you some lunch, I don't know what it is exactly but your dad says you love it."

He hands me a tray with a cheeseburger with some french fries, ketchup and a slice of Dauntless cake.

"Oh well its a cheeseburger and french fries with ketchup. Then there is the world famous Dauntless cake." I say

He gives me a confused look.

"Never mind, did you get something to eat." I say changing the topic.

"yeah I got the same thing. "

"Okay, cool."

We sit in silence while we eat. It's kind of weird considering that we have so many awkward moments between us. I don't really like awkward moments so I'm always the one to say something. But then of course people call me talkative.

"Well what happened after I left?" I ask.

"Well, Eric slapped him across the face. Zeke slapped him on the other side of his face. Your dad and mom came in and threaten to push him off into the chasm after your mom took the gun away from your dad. Boy, people love you here." he says.

"yeah, well Eric, Max and this guy named Peter, they all hate my parents but they love me to death. They are like the best intimidating friends you could have. But I don't talk to them often since they hate my parents. Well not Max, he doesn't hate them, its just Eric hates my dad and Peter hates my mom. " I explain. "I think everyone here considers me as their prodigy. So I just go with it, that's what Max meant when he said he was helping my reputation."

"Oh, cool. So you're friends with like everybody here."

"No, there is always Jack and his little pack of Erudties." I say with hatred present in my voice.

"True."

"Okay, I've been meaning to ask you this but where you beaten? You know, back in Abnegation?" I say cautiously.

He stiffens at what I ask. He looks back down at his food. Then he slowly nods.

I feel sorry for him, but he may not want sympathy from me.

"Really? My dad was too." I say in a calm voice, "He hated his dad and I hate the fact I'm related to someone like him."

"Really? Your dad was beaten, is that why he transferred here?"

I look up at him and he is now looking at me. I don't want to tell him so much about my family, I've already told him too much without my parents here.

"You can trust me to keep this a secret, don't worry." he says putting his hand on my leg. He probably thought my hesitation was because of the fact that I barely know him. He was right.

"Well, um, my dad transferred here to get away from his dad, yes, but also to feel free." I say cautiously.

"Oh okay. I promise to keep it a secret."

"Thank you." I whisper before my eye lids start to close.

"Get some rest." Austin says getting up and walking over to me. I think his is just taking the tray away, which he does, but he also leaned over and kissed my forehead.