Chapter 22

I am still shaking uncontrollably. This is not supposed to happen. I'm the fearless girl from Dauntless. Not someone who is shaking and has sweaty palms.

I look up and see my dad calling someone into the room. Just outside of it, I see Katlyn sitting there with her eyes closed. Provably trying to find peace and quiet so she can rest.

Someone comes in and stands in front of me. I slightly look up and see three pairs of feet in front of me. One is my mom's, my dad's and the third is... Austin's?

Why is he in here. My parents take him over to the over side of the room a d whisper to him. He looks a little frightened but he nods anyways. He comes over by me and sits down. He wraps his arms around my shoulders and pulls me into his embrace.

"Hey, its okay. Its all over." he assures me. I lean into his hug. Its warm and steady. I can feel his heart beating a little faster but it stays that fast.

"What just happened. Aren't I supposed to be in the hospital." I say looking around frantically.

" I knew we should have waited for her to wake up." my mom murmurs.

"Well I didn't think her fear would be like that." my dad says back gesturing to the monitor.

"Wait. I was in a stimulation? Why the hell was I in that?" I ask

"Because they moved stage two up before stage one, so you could participate in fighting and something else. They refused to tell us." Austin explains quietly.

"Wait. I haven't missed paintball?" I ask looking at my parents.

"No. Eric decided since it was you, he would wait after you were fit. But then we couldn't completely stop so we went onto stage two do you could do this." my mom says.

"Okay but what happened. I didn't feel scared during any of that. Nervous maybe but not scared." I say.

"Its for fears. Not what you are scared of." my dad explains "well sometimes it is, but that's not the point. It shows what you fear will look like and what will happen too. So what is it."

I think for a second. "I don't know. Everyone turned against me. Everyone I knew was being killed. I don't know why, but I was completely fine with him holding me over the chasm. But I thought these things only project one fear. That's two."

"Yeah, that's what I'm confused about." my dad says.

"But you know, I knew it wasn-" I cut myself off when I processed what I was saying.

"What did you just say?" my mom says hesitantly.

"All she said was But you know, I knew it wasn't blah blah blah. Its not like she was threatening to kill Jeanie Matthews." Austin says like what they are saying is over kill.

"Austin. You are not allowed to tell anyone about the information that will be said in this room. Got it." my dad says slowly walking up to Austin. He kind of shrinks back but still says I got it.

"Okay, honey, are you Divergent?" my mom asks slowly.