Chapter 2: Before the Storm

Now in perspective of Ayano:
We made sure to get out of the vent after the guard passed and we headed home.
As soon as we entered my house grandma came up to us. "I already got news that the target is dead. Good job". "I don't need you praising us for something like this". She came up to me and suddenly touched my left thigh. I tried to step back but hit the wall. "I noticed from the moment you stepped inside that you were walking harder. I am disappointed you got hurt so badly over such a simple job. In the future when you will take on the real Aishi jobs I hope you won't be so careless". "I won't be taking any jobs after we finish paying the debt!". "We'll see about that". She stepped back from me and headed to Budo. "It looks like you didn't get hurt. Are you the one with two personalities that Ryoba talked about?". "I no longer have two separate selves". "So you are the one... If you don't have all the money I'll go after the other". She said it so boldly in front of us. She moved on to Taro. "Your shoulder is cut, isn't it?". She put her hand on the uninjured shoulder. "I hope at least you didn't get in the way of the other two". "...". "Not saying anything? Well whatever. I left some good medical stuff up in your room. Use it however you want". She said and then went back into the kitchen.
Upstairs we found a big box on my bed. Budo looked inside it for a bit, taking out certain things. He came up to me. "Please take of your shirt, I'll apply this spray on your wounds". I felt a bit embarrassed because of the way he said it, even if in the bathroom of the penthouse I also took it of in front of the two. He sprayed on my arm and then put a special cloth that gave me a weird cooling sensation. "Taro, come hold this on her arm while I apply on her shoulder". "I can hold it". "No you can't, you shouldn't force your shoulder so much". I give in. Taro comes and holds the cloth. I notice him looking at the cut I had from that time with Osana. Then he moves up looking at different scars until he gets to my face and stops there. I blush, but he keeps looking with a blank expression. I don't see it... The smile... The thing that started it all... It's not there. He used to always smile when our eyes met.
"You can take the cloth away, it should have staid long enough". Taro removed the cloth and put it on the desk, then moved to hold the one that was now on my right shoulder. At the same time Budo was doing my thigh. "Aya...". He looked at me. "What is it?". "I can't let you do this anymore". "What are you talking about!?". "Look at yourself, you have so many scars... And now you got hurt badly... I don't ever want to see you hurt like this". "I don't mind". "But I do! I promised to protect you, yet every time you get the chance you jump to protect me and put yourself at risk". "It's because I feel the same as you do, I also don't want to see you hurt. It breaks my heart just thinking it". While I say this words Taro takes the cloth from my shoulder and also puts it on the desk. He acted as if he ignored our conversation completely, before he would agree with Budo on me being careful.
As he walks back to us he seems to walk slow. Suddenly he drops on his knees, his face is pale and he breaths hard. Only then I notice the shirt he was wearing is soaked in blood. We both hurry to help him onto the bed. Budo take of the shirt and we are both shocked. All around the cut the skin turned a shade of purple and blood is coming out constantly. "Taro! Why didn't you say it hurt!". "...". "Is this why you've been acting weird?". He turned his head to the side to avoid looking at me. "It seems the blade was covered with poison. It's bad, but at least the blood is still a bright color". He started looking through the medicine box throwing stuff out like crazy. I had tears in my eyes. I hear a knock on the door, grandma enters and in her hand a plate of cookies. She looks at the situation we are in, Taro is lying on the bed, I am half naked and Budo looks like he is going crazy while standing with his back at us. "Bad time to come in?". I then run up to her grabbing at the material of her dress making her drop the cookies. "Please help him...". I say with tears in my eyes. "Please tell me you have something against poison". "I have something against poison". "Thank goodness, please bring it here". "Bring what? I only said those words because you told me to". "It's not the time for jokes!!". "I think this is great, once he dies we can take his head and take the payment to half". I go crazy at the words she said with that smile on her face. I grab the knife from her apron and try to stab her. But before my hand reaches her chest she grabs my wrist, stopping me. I was shocked at her speed and power, I feel despair as I look back at Taro that has his eyes closed and isn't breathing heavily anymore. Is he dead? I drop to the floor in front of her. "Aya". I could hear Budo's voice calling my name. I turn around and see he is next to Taro holding something onto his shoulder. I notice Taro's chest move as he takes a deep breath. I run up to them and take his hand. "I found the right thing. He will be fine, this will also calm down the pain for a few hours so he can sleep normally". I hug Budo, grateful he just saved Taro's life.
"Disappointing, I hoped he would die". I was about to say something to her, but Budo hugged me harder, pushing my head against his chest. His heart was beating really fast, he was also angry at her, but by stopping me he showed me that I should just ignore her, not be manipulated by her, the same as when mother came back.
She left and Budo finished with taking care of my wounds. We texted from Taro's phone to his parents that he was sleeping over again and then went to sleep ourselves. I slept next to Taro, but Budo slept on the floor since my bed was smaller and we didn't want to accidentally wake Taro up if we moved him more to the wall. Before sleep Budo applied a gel painkiller so I could fall asleep.