6||Something New||

Copyright

Autumn Love

©2014, Loveofreakmusic15

Published on Wattpad

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

NOT EDITED OR PROOFREAD.

Chapter Six

"Avery." My father said monotonously. His deep voice filled my ears reminding me of the times that he'd laugh while pushing me on the swing or the time when he'd tell me a story before I slept. His voice hadn't changed one bit, but the person to whom the voice belonged to, had.

"Dad." I copied his tone. His eyes widened lightly and I knew he'd heard the slight coldness in my voice. How did he not expect it? Did he think I was still a little girl who got happy when she got gifts?!

"How are you?" he asked formally. This seemed more like a business meeting and less like a family reunion.

"Good." I replied. I turned to my mom and gave her a controlled smile.

Aunt Eliza's gaze caught mine and I knew what she was pleading-she wanted me to control the emotional outburst that I was extremely close to having. I gulped in the tears that were threatening to pour out. My parents had betrayed me. They had left me and Mia alone to face the cold world.

"And who would this young man be?" dad looked at somewhere behind me. My eyes widened as I realized that I'd taken a ride from Hayden and he'd probably see everything. I turned around to look at him and he stood there normally as if he couldn't feel the tension in the air. It was definitely hard to miss. Our eyes met and I couldn't make out what he was thinking. Frustration was a strong emotion that I felt. This was a very personal and uncomfortable moment and I definitely didn't want Hayden to put unnecessary emphasis on it later. I didn't want him to make fun of me or think that my family was weird-even though it was. This was personal and he wasn't a close friend. I didn't trust him.

"Thanks for the ride, Hayden. I'll see you at school tomorrow?" I wished that he wouldn't ask me about the tutoring sessions because I don't think I could take them today.

"Yeah, sure." He answered simply. He gave a parting smile to my dad and Aunt Eliza and with one last look, he turned around and left. After a couple of seconds I could hear the sound of the engine of his car coming to life followed by screeching sound of tires and then there was silence. I suddenly felt like a bitch for telling him to leave like that, he'd given me a ride home and I hadn't even treated him well. I needed to keep an apology ready for later.

I stood near the door, waiting for my parents to say something at least-but they didn't. I closed the door to the house and I walked over to where Aunt Eliza was standing. I forced myself to not think of the anger that I was feeling and thought that maybe I could focus on some other stuff-like the trip to Galveston.

"My school's organizing a trip to Galveston, you think I can go?" I asked Aunt Eliza expectantly.

"Yeah," her gaze shifted to where my parents were sitting. "When is it?"

"23rd-"

"Don't you think you should ask us before you ask her Avery?" I heard my mom's voice behind me.

"She's been more of a mother than you have." I muttered lightly. Aunt Eliza heard me and her eyes widened. I had just said it loud enough for her to hear it; I did not want any drama in front of Mia. I won't spoil her happiness because of my anger.

I took a deep breath and turned around.

"My school's organizing a five day trip to Galveston-we leave on 23rd. It's kind of important because it's our last trip together before senior year comes to an end and we all leave for college. So can I go?" I asked her. I knew for a fact that this was just a formality. It didn't matter what my mother had to say. She had been away long enough for me to give that right to Aunt Eliza.