THIRTY-SIX

C H A P T E R    T H I R T Y - S I X; 

A man stood in the dark room that was the Department of Mysteries, the only sort of light was the glow from the orbs circling around him, placed from wall to ceiling in shelves. There weren't many, and definitely not enough to see properly. But something could always go wrong, he had to be careful. 

A small crackle could be heard and the man turned his head to face the new arrival. A wide smile spread across his lips. His accomplice whom he had taken as a hostage, had not the faintest idea of who they were or what they were doing. All they knew is that he was the one of follow. 

He didn't aim to be the next Dark Lord, but what he did seek were revenge and money.  "My dear, any news on the Malfoy situation?" The woman beside him shook her head. The man tensed his body, his was annoyed but he was also glad. "No news of his mother's murder has gone to any major news outlets, meaning the culprits can be anybody." Nodding the man paced the room before stopping and turning abruptly to face her again.

"Well, before we get our fortune there is a little obstacle." 

"Obstacle," the man nodded, however, he was smiling, his teeth gleaming under the orb light. The woman felt odd like her soul had been suffocated into another person's body as if she was slowly killing the person who occupied this body. The feeling wasn't great, however, she did want a piece of Malfoy's fortune. That was a no-brainer. 

"Granger, Malfoy seems to be dating the girl, get her out of the way and we can put the next part of our plan into action."

For the second time that day, the woman had a strange sensation tingle her body. She didn't want to kill anyone. The nightmares and visions from the night of  Narcissa's murder were enough. She couldn't imagine what Draco must be going through. She had a lump in her throat. One voice telling her the fortune was yet but a mile away and another telling her the Wizarding World has seen enough insanity. 

For a second she didn't know who she was, who she was loyal to and why she wanted or craved Malfoy's great fortune so badly. For another second, she doubted why she was helping this man if she could trust him in giving her half of the fortune. Sure, there was enough to go round, but maybe, for him, that wasn't enough. 

The Department of Mysteries gave off an eerie breeze, the chill making them shiver slightly. It felt odd like someone else was here. Watching them...

The man looked at his accomplice for a moment, "You must get rid of Granger, understand. No beating around the bush." The woman quickly nodded and began to leave. 

However, before she could leave the man took a strong grip on her arm, spinning her back to face him. Retrieving his wand from his pocket he proceeded to press the tip to the woman's forehead. 

'Obliviate'

For a second, she wondered who she was, before crumpling into a ball on the floor. The man looked pleased with his effort. Soon the man left, apparating from the Ministry so as not to get caught. His identity to remain hidden for a little while longer.