Chapter 8: Slipping Away

Stampy

Our second day flew by: the family came over, we received gifts, and we ate food- of course. Before we knew it, the guests had left and we were asleep.

The same was for the whole week, until eventually it was the final day. Sqaishey came downstairs early on, her eyes were rimmed red, and a frown was etched onto her face. My heart sank.

"Final day, huh?" Sqaishey said softly. Her outfit was fit for travelling: a light jumper with skinny jeans and boots. Something hurt inside me.

"Yeah."

"Look, Stamps. I know this is hard for you, but it will be fine! We have Skype, and I'm only gone for what, six months? There's nothing to worry about," Sqaishey told me, her eyes wide and insisting. "You know I'll never find some American hunk to replace you..."

I slapped her playfully. Before embracing her. "You know what I think of hugs? I love them and all, but they're often an excuse to hide your face."

Over my shoulder, there was a small grunt. It appeared that what I'd said was true for both us. I blinked away threatening tears. I had to stay strong.

***

"The video's up," Sqaishey murmured. The video that would cause an outrage. Fans would not be happy- mysteriously disappearing from YouTube with the smallest warning to exist. I winced at the thought. I thought I heard the distant buzz of Sqaishey's phone constantly going.

"Ready for day seven?" I asked. With one last regretful look at me, she nodded.

We were to drive to Netty's house, where she'd drive us to the airport... And then, we'd say goodbye. A notification from my phone interrupted me.

Netty: Want to have tea at our house after going to the airport? We can watch Doctor Who or play games. Up to you! -N x

I responded straight away.

Stampy: Sure, sounds good. :)

It didn't sound good to me. At all. I just wanted to hide my face and sleep for six months... The future just seemed like an empty bucket that was perpetually waiting to be filled.

Sqaishey cleared her throat at the doorway. "You ready?"

As she stood there, looking as beautiful as an angel could ever be, I captured the moment. It would be a while until another mental note of her could be taken.

"Yep!" I chided, feigning cheerfulness. Honestly, I didn't care if she could see through me, as long as I had tried.

I stretched, before taking her lemon yellow case from her hands. I dragged it to the car, before looking back at her. Her blonde hair, her pale eyes, her small smile... How could I miss this for six long months? She stared at me, and I brushed a stray hair away from her face. I draped my arms around her, and pecked her cheek.

"Don't..." She warned. Tears welled in her eyes. "It's hard enough."

We solemnly got into the car, and set off for Netty's. The journey was quiet, with just the sound of silence filling the air. We both were speechless...

Netty was waiting for us as we pulled up into the pebbled drive. She met my eyes, and sympathy filled her own. She knew me. She knew I was struggling.

"Hiya! Are you all ready?" She greeted. Her red hair was pulled back into a bun, and she wore her best coat. Despite her outfit, no makeup caked her face.

"Yes!"

"Right then. Let's go."

And then the airport was there.... Planes roared as they took off, and people littered the place, their bags clutched tightly. We approached the doors, before Sqaishey turned. It was time.

"I love you. Take care of yourself, okay?" She whispered. Her voice wavered, and her eyes were streaming. "We'll talk. Yeah? Every night. Nothing will change."

"I love you too."

Then she was in my arms, crying. I kissed her gently, while she cried, clutching Netty's hand at the same time. Then I was crying. The pain was unmistakable.

She pulled away, and searched my face. "I'll see you on the other side. We can take on whatever. So we will."

With one last tear, she turned away and stepped through the airport doors. Netty and I stood there; I was tearful.

"Come on." Netty said softly. "We'll chase that sadness away with a good meal."