Chapter 26: Awkward Encounters

-Sqaishey's POV-

   "Tyler," I mumbled. "We really do need to stop meeting like this."
   He grinned. "Yeah."
   "Right!" Mr Smith, the head judge, called out. His voice pierced my ears with his bellowing voice. He thrusted a script into my arms hurriedly.
"If you'd like to read this..." he instructed.
We started reading our lines. It was nerve wracking and vomit crawled up my throat as I flirted with his character. I couldn't tell what was worse: Tyler or the nerves them-self.
Every minute felt like an hour, every word felt like a sentence.
Tyler seemed to thrive on flirting with me, a coy smile was effortlessly etched upon his face; he was either a brilliant actor, or downright sick.
   His eyes kept catching mine, and they shone brilliantly in the light. He looked so perfect- and I imagined he knew it.
"Thank you, Beth and Tyler." Mr Smith said once we'd finished. I bowed my head awkwardly.
Before Tyler could say anything to me, I dashed out of the auditorium and into the women's bathroom.
I sunk down onto the ground and exhaled. Of all the shows, of all the places.
   My heart hammering, I pulled out my phone and dialled Carla, hoping that Erin and Issy would also be there.
"Hey!" Carla's Irish accent called out to me.
"Carla, you'll never believe it..." I answered.
"What's up? Did your audition not go so well?" She asked, her voice lowering in concern.
"He was there."
"Huh? Who?" Carla asked, before pausing in realisation. "No..."
"Tyler... he was there. And I had to audition with him. And flirt with him!" I spluttered. "It was hell!"
"Oh my god..." Carla cursed multiple times. "Do you need me to come and get you?"
"Are you free?" I wondered if she really had the free time.
"Yeah, we can go get late lunch if you want." She suggested.
   "Sure, give me ten minutes," the phone call ended, and I dashed outside. I was on tenterhooks, scared of Tyler coming around a corner and finding me.
   Outside, I paced up and down the pavement, my hands jittery and my heart beating like thunder.
   The events couldn't stop replaying in my mind, flashes of his smile. It was like he was a ghost, made for haunting me.
   Finally, Carla's black car came speeding around the corner. I walked to the edge of the pavement, ready.
  "Hey! Beth!" Someone called out to me from behind. I spun around instinctively, before immediately regretting it.
   Tyler strode over to me, a swagger in his light step. His mop of black hair had been recently cut, I noted. It made his look fresher, meaning he was more attractive. I fought the urge to roll my eyes.
  "Well done. I think we did well together," he remarked with a grin. It sent shivers down my spine: the way the edges of his mouth lifted up rather sinisterly. In a way, it made him more attractive.
   "I need to go," I breathed. "Carla's here-"
  I was caught off guard by him grabbing my hands gently.
  "Tyler! I really need to go," I said forcefully. Heat was rising to my cheeks, and my knees had a slight tremble. It felt like I was being suffocated, even though he was only grabbing my arms.
   I twisted my body, trying to wrench free of his grip. My eyes were sealed open- with horror or concentration, I couldn't tell.
   His grip loosened, and I moved backwards slightly.
   My foot caught on the edge of the pavement. I heard the engines of Carla's car become closer and closer.
   Catching my footing, I realised I needed to cross the road since I couldn't stay with Tyler. Even seconds with him were traumatic.
  I began to run across the road quickly, tears forming around my eyes. The stench of petrol greeted me, the sound of an engine.
   I heard a scream from somewhere as Carla's black car collided with me, and sent me falling weightlessly to the hard concrete.
   It took me a moment to realise who the scream had belonged to: me.