20- Mohammed

He stayed silent as he watched her with a frown on her face. He wanted to go up to her and hold her, telling her how sorry he was but he knew she needed time. When he rose to get out, she gave him a disappointing look.

"I can't do it," she whispered. "Give me a divorce." Her accent was light but her words came out clearly.

"Don't ever say that again," he snapped as he walked out the kitchen.

She followed after him. "Why not? You're just gonna burn yourself to death to release me from this so called marriage?" She put a hand on his shoulder, turning him around. "I want a divorce or you stop being a firefighter. I can't do it anymore, Rahul," she said desperately, calling him by his home name.

"I love you, can you not see that? I risk my life every shift so I can put food on the table for us and keep this roof over our heads. You and the kids mean everything to me."

She scoffed. "You love me?" His wife walked away from him, running up to their room. He was glad the children were in school. Letting out a frustrated groan, he slammed the sitting room door and sat on the sofa.

Two hours went by before his wife came down the stairs. The door creaked open but he didn't look up. His eyes remained on the silver ring he had on finger. A simple silver band that he knew she worked hard for. He remembered how on their first year anniversary, she came home from work, a tired smile on her face. She told him she didn't spend that much but from the little she was earning, he knew that was a lot for her.

"Rahul," she whispered.

"What is it Hafsa?"

"I'm sorry." Her voice was low. She was embarrassed. He shook his head and leaned over to kiss her head.

"It's okay, don't worry about it." He made it to the door when she grabbed his arm. "Hafsa, it's okay, really. I'll give you what you want."

"No! I was just upset." He shrugged her hands off him.

"I get upset too but I never go that far."

"Please, I love you, Rahul, you can't do this."

"No, you're right-"

"I had a miscarriage!" Mo looked at her. He stood still, his hand frozen in mid air, still at the back of his neck. "I can't do it by myself anymore. I'm older now, I'm weaker than I was when I was pregnant with the others. I lost our baby, Rahul."

"You didn't tell me?"

"I didn't know I was pregnant until I had the miscarriage. I'm sorry, I really am." He brought his hand down, resting it flat against his thigh. "I just found out two days ago. You were out with the kids and came home late and went to work in the morning. I didn't exactly get a chance."

Mo just stood there. He slowly raised his arms and pulled her into a hug. His hand patted down against her hair as she sobbed into her neck. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I wasn't here for you."

* * *

Mo walked into the house quietly. He kicked off his shoes, making a note to put them away later as he made his way up the stairs. He walked into his bedroom and found his wife still in bed but she was awake now, staring out the window.

"Hey," he whispered. She jumped at his voice. "I dropped the kids off to Razia's house. You told her what happened?"

"I had to talk to someone, Rahul. I'm sorry I told your sister before you." He shook off his jacket, chucking it on the chair by the desk. Usually she would have commented on it but she didn't say a word. Taking long strides, he made his way to the bed.

"Remember when we first met?" he asked as he sat down beside her. "I saw you walk by that lake, looking beautiful as ever. I was apprehensive about the whole thing because this was the first time I came to Pakistan and my mum was already setting me up with someone. 'Just talk to her and see' was what she told me all the time. I mean when she did it here it was okay but I was visiting my grandfather's country for the first time and I wanted to have fun." He lay down on the bed, pulling her onto his chest. She shuffled until she was resting on his shoulder. "I gave it a go and I am so glad I did. I fell in love and started a life with you. It wasn't easy, bringing you here, getting your passport and whatnot. But I had you by my side and every night before we went to bed you would call me, when you were still in Pakistan, and would tell me everything was going to be okay. Pray and say my duas and I will be fine."

"I remember," she responded with a small smile. She felt him hold her hand, entwining their fingers together. He raised it in the air.

"I gave it some thought." He brought their hands to his lip, giving the back of her hand a loving kiss. "I'm gonna retire."

"No. I had no right telling-"

"I'm getting old, Hafs. I'm gonna be fifty in a few years. I need to spend time with my family. Our kids are almost adults and I missed out on their childhood."

"I never meant to-"

"It's okay. Family comes first right? And plus, I'm just going to train the candidates for the firefighters so I'm not leaving it completely. I talked to chief about it and he said there was a position close by so I had to apply for it straight away. My next shift is my last shift."

Hafsa tucked her head into his neck, feeling guilty. She knew he always had the dream of being a firefighter. Her hand rose to his chest, rubbing it lightly. "I'm sorry. I had no right to make you choose and I am so-"

"Stop it." He turned to his side, keeping his arm beneath her and wrapping his other around her so his hand was resting on her back. "I did this for our family. It needed to be done."

"I love you," she whispered. He smiled as he leaned down to kiss her.

"I know. I love you too."

TWO MORE CHAPTERS LEFT!!