The Wedding

Nathan watched as his brother rose to his feet. He slipped on his black leather shoes, lifting the trousers up high enough for Nathan to see his metal leg. Mason turned around, a nervous smile on his face.

"I think I'm done," he whispered.

Nathan chuckled, walking over to him. "I know you spent a lot of money on those cufflinks and if I had known before hand, I would have stopped you. These are dad's, well our great grandfather's cufflinks."

As Nathan changed them, he felt his brother's gaze on him. "I'm sorry I wasn't here for your wedding."

"Nonsense. You were meant to be here, had your stay here and then they took you away."

Mason nodded his head and lifted his arm up to admire the work on the silver cufflinks. "I really wish dad was here."

They both sighed. Their father had passed away two years ago, leaving the two sons to look after their mother. She had handled it bravely, knowing his time was coming to an end. So now she sat at the front row, her boyfriend beside her.

"He would have loved to finally see you tie the knot. He told you millions of times, 'marry her, what on earth are you thinking?'" Nathan said with a chuckle.

"It's as though I can hear him saying it right now," Mason said with a smile. "I just never thought she'd stay, you know? Waiting for her husband to come back home, praying that he wouldn't die...I thought she would leave."

"Listen to me, big bro," Nathan said as he placed a hand on his brother's shoulder, "Francesca loves you. You guys went through a lot together and to still be standing here, thirteen years later...I have to give it to you."

* * *

Andy smiled, feeling Nathan place his hand on her thigh as he stared ahead. He then pulled it away, throwing his arm around her shoulder with a sigh. His hand rubbed against her bump, feeling the baby kick beneath his fingertips.

He remembered coming home, the bright sun glaring at the back of his head. He stepped through the door and sighed with relief at the coolness of his house. Sebastian ran up to him, giggling as he always did. Carrying him, he walked into the kitchen where a box lay on the table with his name on it. Cautiously, he untied the ribbon and lifted the shiny navy lid. In the middle lay a folded baby vest along with a pair of tiny shoes.

'HERE COMES BABY NO.2' said the note.

'I'M GOING TO BE A BIG BROTHER!'

"I love you," Andy whispered, bringing him out his thoughts. He smiled against her hair before leaning down to kiss her.

"Alright everyone," Carr called, being the DJ for the night. "Settle down, it's time for the speech!" The crowd applauded and Nathan kissed Andy once agin. "Lets leave the lips alone, best man, you'll have plenty of time for that later."

Nathan pulled away with a chuckle, a light blush forming on his cheeks. He raised his hands in surrender and faced the crowd.

"Lieutenant- sorry, Nathan, who is the best man when he isn't snogging the life out of his pregnant wife- it's a girl by the way- should now be ready for his speech." Nathan rose to his feet, smiling at his brother.

"First of all, if you all haven't met the DJ, he is usually referred to as Carr. Simon Carr. And he is a complete- let's not, there are kids here," he said with a laugh. "Right, let's get onto the speech." He glanced down at his brother and smiled once again. "Our father was at my wedding, when I married Andy, and he told me, 'Never give up. If something goes wrong, take a step back, breathe, then solve it because giving up means that there is no more love.' Loads of people would agree, some disagree and I get both their sides, I really do. But my father, even on my wedding day, told me he wished he could see Mason get married because he had already been going out with Frankie for about ten years, had four children with her and still didn't believe in marriage.