Chapter Twenty-One

I stood in the kitchen with a half-drank soda in my hands, staring blankly at the cabinets in front of me. It had been a week since all of my new revelations and the pain had dulled to a low simmer whenever I thought about what Liam and Harry had done to me. I think the hardest part to get over was the fact that I'd been with Liam so long and he claimed to loathe Harry all that time when really they were always in on something together. Partners in crime, and I hated that I'd been so blind to their little game.

Looking back on it now, there were signs that I was being fooled. Truly, I should have at least suspected something but I had put so much faith in both of them. I put my ultimate faith in Harry.

Liam and I were.. complicated, and we've always had issues with trust; Liam accusing me of things and vise versa. But Harry... He let me feel what it felt like to be so comfortable with someone. Harry knew how to be there for me, and he knew how to charm his way into my heart. But that was probably just the game as well, especially considering the bet made.

I keep telling myself that I should have known. After Harry and Liam got in that fight at the game those few months ago, something had changed. Something changed in Liam: He was rude, too sarcastic when he talked to me, and those clothes he'd worn and claimed they were because he lost a bet.. Now I know what bet that was.

There were so many signs pointing to this. My head spun as I thought of all of them. The biggest one made my heart sink, and the old lump in my throat return. When Harry left mysteriously quick while we were hanging out, and after the fight with my mom, I saw him talking to Liam at the store. I couldn't tell what hurt worse, really. My stupidity, or the fact that it was all a bet for the stupidest fucking shit.

“Ali.” I heard a voice and was thankful as it snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked up to meet the guilty blue eyes of Cara. How the hell did she get in my house?

“Get the fuck out.” I spit, running a shaky hand through my hair as I set the can of soda on the counter and walked to the other end of the kitchen, making sure to put enough space between us that I wouldn't get the chance to rip her hair out of her stupid fucking beautiful head.

“Would you just hear me out? Your father let me in, and I wanna take this chance to explain.” She answers as if reading my mind. I huffed and turned away from her, crossing my arms over my chest, and looking down realizing my attire. I was only wearing a long black t shirt and a black thong, and suddenly I felt uncomfortable in front of one of my most beautiful friend- ex friends..

“Absolutely not. Get lost, Cara.. You're supposed to be my friend.” I tell her, making eye contact with her and making sure my glare is furious.

“Damn it! I am!” She whines and breaks my intense eye contact with her.

“You were.” I seethe, swallowing every other emotion other than anger. Suddenly, Cara's face goes cold and she glares back at me.

“How can you assume I'd be so cruel to you. You're insane. I didn't-” But Cara didn't finish her statement as I watched another body come into view. My breathing quickening with every step he took.

“Stop. Both of you.” My dad boomed. We both quickly looked up and I raised an eyebrow.

“Cara, I think you need to leave. I'm heading out with some friends as well, so we can leave Ali alone.” He tells Cara firmly and I feel relief flood through me. My dad was a cool guy, charming, intriguing, and above all, usually hilarious, and he seemed to notice I needed him to step in from what he could hear in the other room. I look at my dad thankfully before my mind wanders and wonders why the fuck he's still with my mom when he's so much better and could do better as well.