Part 21

"Dad." I said flatly as I entered the living room.

My hands shook slightly as he put one of his car magazines down.

"Yes, Mari?"

I took a deep breath, "I know that you want what's best for me, but all of these evaluations and tests are just making things worse. The peer therapy thing is great and I will stick with that, but all of these other doctors and therapists I-I-" I cut myself off and felt tears welling up in my eyes.

He walked over to me and sat me down next to him.

"You what?" He asked softly.

"I can't do it." Was all I could manage to choke out.

He sighed and put an arm around me, "Okay, I'll stop with all of the tests, but I need you to tell me what's going on in your life.  If I don't know, I don't really have any other choice."

"Okay, just make sure you get Max help too.  He's dealing with things too."

"Alright, I'll talk to him." He looked at me, "Please just smile, for real this time."

I glanced at him and flashed a quick smile.  It was as genuine as I could get at that point."

12:00 pm.

"When I was up there, looking out I don't know, I just I froze."

I was about to audition for the variety show, singing, when Archie ran off stage.

"That was stage fright, Archie." I heard Valerie say.

"Yeah, but when I'm on the football field, the stands can be packed. Packed, and it doesn't affect my game at all."

"Singing makes you vulnerable in a way that football doesn't."

"Or maybe what I was missing out there onstage was my team. Or at least a partner. What if we sang I Got You?"

"Archie, I'm a Pussycat. We're headlining the Variety Show."

"What if you sang with them first and then me? Just this once? To help me get my sea legs."

"Have you met Josie? I can't step out on the Cats."

I heard her footsteps disapear and I stepped out from the corner and sat by him.

"Archie, I'm sorry about the stuff I did to you. I'm a horrible friend."

He gazed up at me, "It was my fault too. I never helped you out when you needed it. Especially with your Mom."

I slid down next to him, "You know, I saw you run off stage and heard you say you need a partner. I can sing pretty well so..."

"Wait, you can?"

"I don't do it a lot, but I'm pretty okay.  I get stage fright too so, maybe we could help each other out?"

"I'll definitely think about it." He said, but he looked like he had something else on his mind.

"What is it?"

He sighed, "So remember when you guys went into the lockeroom and Chuck said something about your Mom being drunk?" My breath hitched, but I nodded. "Did she drink a lot?"