Part 26

It was cold that night.  Not a star in the sky as I walked through the forest.  Everything was unfamilliar and I was lost. 

Why was I out so late in the middle of an unexplored are of the woods? I don't know.  That's when I heard it, a scream.

Before I knew it I was running as fast as I could trying to find a way out.  The screaming continued on, growing louder and louder with each step I took.  It was to the point where it was unbearable. 

That was when I realized it.

I was the one who was screaming.

I woke up in a cold sweat. My sheets and comforter were scrunched up on the edge of my bed. I must have kicked them off while I slept, if you could even call it that.

I reached over to my nightstand and saw that it was only 2:03 am.

I rubbed my eyes and swung my feet over the edge of the bed.

My hands shook as I shuddered from the cool hardwood flooring.

Texting Jughead wasn't a possibility now that he was staying with Archie, so I did the one thing that I could do.

Slowly I walked down the hallway and peeked my head through Max's doorframe, only to find him still awake and pacing around his room.

"Max?"

He stopped and stared at me.  His eyes were full of tears and he looked as pale as a ghost.

I said nothing as I walked over and hugged him.

"D-Do you get the n-nightmares too?" He asked quietly.

I nodded my head as small sobs began to rock through his body.

"It's okay Max." I whispered shakily as a tear began to roll down my cheek.

"We'll be okay."

9:00 am

"Marina!"

I turned around and found Lara and Olivia.

"Hey guys. What's up?" I smiled at them as I they followed me to my locker.

"Well, we found something." Olivia whispered to me.

I raised an eyebrow, "Found what exactly?"

"Jack and Cheryl have been talking a lot more lately." Lara said, "And we think it's about Polly."

I started grabbing books from my locker, "What? Betty told me that Cheryl protected Polly last night."

"Thats the thing," Liv said, lowering her voice even more, "We think that Jack is the one whos out to get her now."

I stopped what I was doing and looked at them, dumbfounded, "Why? That doesn't ecen make any sense."

Lara and Liv exchanged looks.

"He never told anyone this," Lara glanced around to see who was watching us, "but Jack's always had a crush on Polly. So after you broke his heart and he found out you were friends with Betty, he figured he could hit two birds with one stone."

"But how could I have broken his heart if he liked Polly?"

Liv rolled her eyes, "Have you ever liked two people at the same time?" When I didn't answer she nodded, "Point proven."