Chapter Two

Kenzie looked at her reflection in her tall mirror. Her hair was up in a bun, she had on sweat pants, and a very simple white t-shirt. Uggs were on her feet, and she had absolutely no makeup on.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It defiantly wasn't her best look, but she knew that she still looked good...or at least she tried to convince herself that that's how she felt. She always tried to have a confident mindset, and sometimes she'd lie to herself so much about how she felt about her life that she'd start to believe it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The truth was that the confidence was an act. Truly, deep down she was more insecure than anyone. Yet, as long as she pretended that she wasn't she would believe that she wasn't.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Maddie was getting ready to fly back to New York for college. Kenzie didn't want her to leave, because when she left it'd go back to just being her, her mom and her dad.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Suddenly there was a knock on the door, breaking her out of her small daze. Kenzie turned away from her mirror and made her way to walk to the doorway.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She turned the knob, and pulled open the tall structure, to reveal her older sister. Maddie was wearing a blue Columbia University sweatshirt, that made her also blue eyes pop. Oh, and yes you heard me right Colombia University! She's in one of the most prestigious law school, that certainly always gave Kenzie a lot to live up to.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Why do you have to go?" Kenzie asked pouting jokingly. Maddie smiled in a sad way, as she extended her arms for a hug.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I wish I didn't have to go." Maddie answered as she pulled Kenz to her. They hugged each other tightly, because it would be awhile until they saw each other again, they both knew that's.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm going to miss you." Kenzie said grimly, and Maddie nodded, as she let go of her younger sister.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'll miss you more kid." She said grabbing the handle of her suitcase.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Bye." Mackenzie muttered since she wasn't going on the drive to the airport. Her sister was taking an uber, so as much as she'd love to have a few more minutes with her she couldn't.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Bye, we will see each other soon. I promise." Maddie answered unconvincingly, and Kenzie nodded. She knew it would be quite a bit, but it was nice to know that her sister cared enough to want to see her at all.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀--------------------------------------
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Kenzie laid in bed, with her purple covers tightly grasped in between her arms. Maddie had left hours ago, but nights like these were the nights she needed her sister most.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The nights her mother and father got into screaming matches, it was pretty often lately. The things she'd hear them say to each other broke her heart. All a kid wants to believe is that their parents love each other, and that their happy.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was clear Kenzie's family was falling apart, but wouldn't break up no matter how unhappy they were. All they cared about was what their friends thought, and they were modified about what they'd say if the broke it off.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You asshole, all I ever was, was faithful and this is how you repay me?" Melissa, Kenzie's mom screamed form down stairs. Mackenzie cringed at the loud scream, as she brought her blanket closer to herself.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yes, because I hate you! I hate you so much!" Kurt, Kenzie's dad screamed back. Kenzie held back her tears, as she buried her head into her pillow to try and block out the loud noise. The words weren't directed at her, but they hurt just as bad. That was one thing she never understood, parents had to know how much their fighting affected their children, did they just not care?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"So you cheat on me with Christi Lukasiak?" Mellissa asked yelling at her husband. When she said those words it was like a wave of nausea went over Kenzie. Her dad cheated on her mom with one of her friend's mom? Chloe was Christi's daughter and a slight aquantence of Mackenzie. Why did it seem like her parents relationship was mirroring her and Hayden's at this point? Was this going to be them in twenty years, having screaming matches, making their kids cry? Kenzie knew that wasn't what she wanted.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yes, I did...don't act like your so fucking innocent Melissa!" Kurt yelled, and again it was like someone stabbed her in the stomach. Her mom cheated too? All she wanted was to hug someone, anyone and have a shoulder to cry on but she had no one. That's why she wanted Maddie to be there, she was all she had.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"It was years ago Kurt, I was drunk!" Kenzie's mom yelled making Her stomach clench, she couldn't take it anymore, them fighting. It was almost every night and it was just getting worse and worse.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yeah and you being the whore you are, you cheated on me with my best friend!" He screamed and Kenzie felt like she could throw up. She couldn't hold back the tears anymore, when suddenly a single tear drop fell down her slim face.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm done Kurt, you can sleep on the couch!" Mellissa said, and Kenzie could hear her footsteps coming up the stairs. Although her mother way have left, it probably wasn't the end of their argument. They'd pretend to end it many times before they both got too tired and finally gave the yelling a rest.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was driving Mackenzie insane. This was one of their calm fights, and that's not saying much! She knew it was them fighting but they were leaving her with awful memories that would never leave her. It's surprising how you can forget so many good memories but the traumatizing ones seem to stay with you. Such as the years of her parents fighting, and occasionally she'd get dragged into it herself.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Kenzie just wanted it to stop, she just wanted to be happy, and not be scarred all the time. She was constantly afraid one of their fights would get out of hand and get physical, or that they'd actually break up and that they'd just end up still constantly fighting at holidays and over the phone and when they dropped her off at each other's houses. She was scared the nightmare would never end.