Chapter Ten

Johnny had just dropped off Saryna at her house and now he was just sitting in his room. The night was a disaster and Saryna probably hated him.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Okay, so nothing terrible happened it was just that they didn't click at all. It was beyond awkward, and he just wasn't into it. Johnny thought Saryna was a great girl, she was kind, funny, smart, and gorgeous, but she just wasn't right for him. She deserved someone who was just as into her, as she was into him.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He had told her at the end of the night that he had a lot of fun, and she was amazing, but she deserved to go out with someone better than him. It wasn't fair for him to lead on a girl he had no feelings for.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Johnny was just sitting on his bed doing absolutely nothing, feeling kind of guilt for probably hurting Saryna's feelings, when his phone rang.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It was Kenzie calling him, so of course he immediately grabbed the phone. He quickly swiped to answer, because it was quite odd for her to call him, it was about ten o'clock.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Hello?" Johnny asked as soon as he pressed his phone up to his ear. He could hear wind on the other side of the phone which meant she was outside.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Hey." Kenzie answered, but her voice was shaky. It sounded like she was crying, or maybe the phone was just breaking up, Johnny couldn't put his finger on it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Are you okay?" He asked, and then Kenzie sniffled and he knew she was crying. He had never heard her cry before, he didn't think anyone had.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"No." Kenzie said.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀---------------------------------------
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Mackenzie sat in her car parked two houses down from Hayden's. As if it wasn't mortifying enough to find your boyfriend cheating on you, as you go to break up with him, now her car had broken down.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀It wasn't like she didn't have enough money to get it fixed or anything like that, she just didn't have it in her. She didn't want to go home, she didn't feel like calling a tow complaint so the she could hear a bunch of shit about it from her parents, so she did the only thing she could think of.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She called Johnny, because he was the only person she had, the only real friend. She had tried to call Brynn and Jayden but they had rejected her calls which only left her with one option.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Suddenly the girl heard a car engine, as Johnny's car pulled up behind her. When she called him, she didn't really get a chance to explain what happened. She just told him that her car broke down, where she was, and he hung up to come get her. They had only been friends for about two weeks, and he was already a better friend than any other one she had ever had.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Kenzie opened up her car door, and stepped out. Johnny did the same, and as soon as he saw Kenzie's tear stained face, his features became very sympathetic.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Hey....uh thanks for coming." Kenzie said softly as soon as she made eye contact with him. It felt so odd to be so vulnerable around anyone. She never cried around other people, she never even acted sad.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What happened, are you okay?" Johnny asked quickly as he walked closer to her. The worry in his voice made Kenzie feel grateful inside, that someone cared about her.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm fine, I just need to get out of here." Kenzie said, and Johnny nodded but he still looked confused.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What about your car?" He asked, and Kenzie just kind of shrugged. She didn't know what to do, but come back for it, because she was not calling her parents.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'll get it tomorrow." She answered, sniffling.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀------------------------------------
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Johnny pulled up outside of Kenzie's huge house. It was bigger than any house he'd ever seen in their town, and to say he was amazed was an understatement.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He looked over at Kenzie who was looking at her own home with a look of nervousness and sadness. Her face was still tear stained, and blotchy from her crying.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Are you going to tell me what happened tonight?" Johnny questioned. Mackenzie sighed quietly and looked down at her feet embarrassed.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"It's a long story..." Kenzie trailed off not making eye contact with the boy. She had this urge to tell him everything, but at the same time she didn't want to. That wasn't who she was, she already showed him too much of her weak side.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Kenzie, just at least tell me you'll be okay. I've never seen--"
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Me cry? Nope cause pretty much no one has. Just because I'm popular doesn't mean I don't have emotions Johnny, I'm fine okay. I gotta go." She suddenly snapped, considering how quiet she had been the whole ride to her house. All Johnny could think was that she was pushing him away, for what reason he had no idea.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He was sort of at a loss of words at her sudden outburst. Kenzie seemed to be moving quickly though, she grabbed the handle of the door and opened it up. She began to get out car Johnny reached his hand out, and grabbed her arm softly.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Please, Kenzie. I'm not saying you're not human, it's just you're one of the strongest people I've ever seen. I just want to make sure you're okay..." Johnny said, and for about two seconds he saw Kenzie's face turn soft. She looked vulnerable and not her usual closed off self. It was only for a second though, before she went right back to normal.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You obviously don't know me well...I'm fine Johnny..." She said in a sort-of-cocky way as she turned around. Their was this feeling inside her stomach of guilt, but she knew it was right to push him out.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Johnny watched her as she left, all he wanted to do was to stop her, and comfort her. He didn't though, he let her go because he was scared she would reject him.