Chapter Three

Kenzie sat in math class, with her pencil in her hand not listening to a thing the teacher said. This was probably why her parents were always so disappointed in her, she wasn't an intelligent lawyer like Maddie.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Mackenzie was good at so many things, I guess the universe had to balance itself out, because she never had done well in school. She stopped trying though, most studies say that's a cry for help.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When a child who has potential, purposely fails it's for attention from their parents. Kenzie may have not even realized it herself, but that's exactly what she was doing.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her teacher Mr. Blake was talking away as Kenzie just chewed her gum obnoxiously like an actual cliche. Brynn was seated on one side of her, Jayden on the other side, all cramed into wooden desks that the chair was attached to.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Mackenzie hadn't noticed but Johnny was also in her class, he just sat on the other side of the room. She didn't really pay attention to anyone she didn't have any interest in.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Ms. Ziegler, what is the square route of twenty five?" Mr. Blake tested her to see if she was paying attention. It was a very simple question he had asked her, one she should have learned about years ago, but Kenzie really didn't care.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I...don't know." Mackenzie said trying not to be cocky despite every urge in her body that wanted to.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"It's five. Now may I ask what has you not paying attention in my class?" The teacher asked making Kenzie widen her eyes. The truth was she was just really tired, she hadn't gotten much sleep the night before, but of course she didn't look worn down despite she felt that way.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her parents yelling and screaming kept her up for hours, until she finally cried herself to sleep. It was another miserable night.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Maybe it was your very handsome looks, I can't help how they distract me Mr. Blake." Kenzie said in a sarcastic-flirtatious way. It was completely untrue and honestly Mackenzie herself couldn't believe what she just said, but it was all she could think of. Mr. Blake was a very young teacher and indeed attractive so it wasn't a bizarre statement, just strange to say to your teachers face.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When she said that everyone looked to her in shock, but she didn't let it faze her. She wasn't entirely sure why she had said something so odd, but she was going to stay confident in her words.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I don't think it's very appropriate to say such a thing to your teacher Mackenzie, don't do it again." He scolded her and went back to teaching the rest of the class. Kenzie let out a breath of relief she didn't even realized she had been holding.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Mackenzie hadn't noticed but a pair of green eyes rested on her for most of class time. Johnny had always admired her, the ways she acted like she owned the school and never second guessed her actions. He always had wanted to talk to her, but he was too scared, unlike her. She had just walked up and kissed him, something he'd never be able to do, with anyone. Johnny had hoped for a long time that maybe one day Kenzie might acknowledge his existence, but he never expected their first encounter to go quite the way it did.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀------------------------------------
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Ms. Ziegler, Mr. Orlando can you stay after class?" Mr. Blake asked just as Kenzie was shoving her things onto her Loui Vitton back pack. She grabbed it and swung it over her shoulders, and flattened out her black mini skirt as she stood up, and walked towards the front desk.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She truly had no idea why the teacher wanted to talk to her and Johnny, who she currently did not want to see but she couldn't ignore a teacher. She was probably already in enough trouble with Mr.Blake.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As she neared the desk she flipped her straight brown hair in front of her shoulder, and leaned her one arm onto Mr.Blake's desk.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Johnny walked up next to her looking nervous and she assumed it was because of what happened the other day. Of course being around him made her feel a little weird, but not to the point where she'd consider herself anxious or nervous. She knew that's she had nothing to worry about, it wasn't like he didn't like the kiss or something. Kenzie  just kind of felt kind of felt bad for kissing a guy other than Hayden, especially how she did it so publicly, it wasn't that she felt bad for Hayden, she just sort of felt she made herself look bad.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What's up, I really need to get class." Kenzie suddenly said annoyed. They both were standing there just waiting for him to speak, but he was just writing down notes of some sort.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"So sorry to inconvenience you Mackenzie, it's not like you distributed my class today." Mr. Blake said in a snarky tone back, making Kenzie even more mad. He was the one that took it upon himself to call her out for not paying attention.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Whatever, I really can't be late to history though so can we speed up whatever lame meeting thing this may be..." Kenzie trailed off, as Johnny just stood awkwardly beside her. Despite his efforts at talking, he tended to be very reserved and shy, it had always been that way.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yeah, uh I need to get to Spanish." Johnny added softly, and Kenzie looked over at him with a smirk that made Johnny feel uneasy. You never knew what might come out of her mouth, and although in a way he liked that, it also kind of intimidated him.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"He can talk." She said jokingly, actually making him smile.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Okay can you try and not flirt with him Mackenzie because he's going to be your new math tutor. " Mr. Blake said catching both of their attentions. A tutor? Why did she need a tutor? Sure she wants the best at math, but she could do good if she tried. She did not need Johnny's help.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh, uh I don't think that's necessary--"
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yes it is Kenzie, you're going to fail math and Johnny is one of my best students, he can help you." Mr. Blake said calmly making the girl angrier. She frankly would rather not spend time with the guys she spitefully kissed in front of the whole school to make her boyfriend jealous. It would just be very awkward, and she'd did not want go through another awkward situation with that boy.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Please I can do better I promise." Kenzie pleaded but Mr. Blake just shook his head.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Nope you're doing this, I'm not letting you fail. Johnny will you tutor her?" He asked putting Johnny on the spot. Kenzie looked at him hoping he'd say no.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Uh...yeah I guess." Johnny answered seeming unsure of himself, and also making  Kenzie releases a huff of anger. She shot the boy a glare as he looked away from her terrified. She turned on the balls of her feet and made a beeline to the door, angrier than usual.