Chapter Thirteen

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Eventually Kenzie and Johnny pulled apart from their hug, but neither of them wanted to. She felt safe in his arms, like no one else could hurt her.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Once they had let go Kenzie had rested her head on Johnny's shoulder tiredly. She had called him to pick her up at about eight o'clock, and now it was almost ten somehow.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Johnny put his arm around her shoulder and they were quite for awhile, just sitting there. He knew she must have had a lot more things going on, but he didn't care if she told him, he just wanted to be there for her.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You know I got cheated on before too." Johnny said suddenly and Kenzie looked up at him with wide eyes. She had never heard him mention any ex girlfriend, she had no idea.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What? Who would cheat on you?" Kenzie blurted out before thinking about what she had said. It was kind of like the time they first properly talked, and she accidentally called him hot. There was something about him that kind of made her nervous, in a good way, and she would just say things she wouldn't say to other people.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Nadia Turner, she's my ex. I caught her with my old best friend." He admitted looking down at his shoes. Mackenzie lightly lifted her head off of his shoulder to look at him better.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"It wasn't Carson or Harvey right?" Kenzie asked confused. They were the only friends she had ever seen him with, and they seemed nice.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"No, they're great friends. It was in tenth grade, last year my best friend was Brandon Rowland I don't know if you know him."  Johnny answered and Kenzie nodded. She don't know Brandon well, but he was on the football team with Hayden, they were kind of friends.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"That's awful..." Kenzie trailed off laying her head back on his shoulder.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yeah it sucked for awhile, but I moved on." Johnny answered. Kenzie wanted to know who he moved on with, or who he liked or whatever but she didn't ask.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"It does suck. The worst part for me was I couldn't break up with him, my mom would have killed me, she still would if she found out that I did." Kenzie admitted, considering she hadn't really told many people that her and Hayden were done.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You guys broke up?" Johnny asked confused.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yeah the night my car broke down I went to break up with him. It had been too much catching him with Annie the first time. Then at the football game that you caught me crying at he had told me to leave him alone because he needed to find Annie. So I was over it and went to end things and guess who was there with him?" Kenzie talked very quickly because it hurt to talk about. She didn't really want to talk about it, but at the same time she did.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"He's such an asshole, how could he do that to you?" Johnny said and Kenzie could tell he was angry. It made her feel all warm inside that he cared that much.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"He is, but it's fine Johnny. I have bigger things to worry about." Kenzie sighed thinking of her dad, and the room and just home in general. She didn't want to go home, she didn't want to face the fact that her family had fallen apart and that her mom was just a ticking bomb. Once she found out about Hayden, she was going to explode.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What else is wrong? " he asked grabbing her hand with the same arm that was wrapped around her. He lightly caressed her hand with his thumb.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"My dad left us. It's for the better though my parents were constantly fighting and it was dreadful." Kenzie answered, and she had just realized she basically just told this boy everything in the world that she never wanted to tell anyone. Everything that made her vulnerable, and he was there for her. He didn't use it against her, he didn't push her away, he just listened, talked and helped.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"My parents are split up too...they are both still involved in my life a ton, they just don't live together anymore." Johnny said sadly.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I thought you said they were in Canada together?" Kenzie asked confused.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yeah, well their civil, and they both have family there so they just went together. They're friends I guess, they just don't love each other anymore." He answered, and Kenzie nodded taking in the information.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I wish my parents could be like that, but my dad just left today. It'll probably be awhile before they can even be in the same room..." Kenzie let out a single bark of laughter. She nuzzled he head closer to his.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"It'll be okay, trust me. At first it's really bad...but it gets better." He said and as much as Kenzie wanted to believe it she couldn't. Her parents hated each other, that wasn't going to change over night.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Thanks...for making me feel better." Kenzie said suddenly after it going silent for a moment or so.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"No problem." Johnny answered, and suddenly Kenzie yawned. She was beyond tired, from crying, and just the rough day she had.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Johnny...I don't know what to do, I can't go home." Kenzie said as her eyes began to flutter closed. He pulled her closer to him, and she didn't mind.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"We'll figure it out tomorrow." Johnny breathed, as Kenzie eyes finally shut completely and she fell asleep right there.