Chapter Six

⠀⠀⠀

             Kenzie sat down on the bleachers, at her usual spot right in between Jayden and Brynn. It was the schools final football game of the year, they had made it to the championship.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Otherwise they would have been done having games back in November, but somehow at the end of February there they were. Hayden was out on the field, as well as Holden and Connor.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As mad as she was at him Kenzie's eyes immediately went to Hayden, he was number twelve.  She had once put a picture up on Instagram of the two of them saying 'number 12 on the field, number one in my heart'. It was super cliche, and now it wasn't even true. He was not number one in her heart anymore, he had made sure of that.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"This is boring." Kenzie complained looking at each of her best friends. Suddenly the stands on the other side of the field that belonged to the opposing team erupted into cheers. The other school had gotten another touchdown, and Eastside high was now down fourteen points.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I thinks it's fun, I love watching them play." Jayden said wistfully as she starred at Conner out on the field. Mackenzie wanted to puke at the lovey-dovey eyes she was giving him. She wasn't happy in her relationship so it made her want no one else to be happy either. She knew it was a selfish mindset, but she couldn't help that that's how her mind worked.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Easy for you to say, your boyfriend is playing." Kenzie answered looking straight ahead at the field. Her eyes were still on Hayden as he got tackled for the fifth time.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Your boyfriends down there too." Brynn added quite loudly trying to talk over the chatter of the stadium. Mackenzie rolled her eyes at that statement.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Well...I'm mad at him right now..." She responded annoyed. Brynn knew it was taking everything in her not to break up with Hayden, she just didn't understand why Kenzie wouldn't do it. She knew how their parents were, but they had to understand that they were both miserable, right?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You need to end it with him." Jayden said randomly, making Kenzie angrier. Of course she knew that, she wanted to do bad. It wasn't her choice though.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"No shit Sherlock." Mackenzie answered rudely, and Jayden took that as her cue to shut up. When Kenzie got angry things got scary, and now wasn't the time for her to flip out.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀All three of the girls went silent, as they all looked out at the field. Kenzie couldn't help but think she wished she was anywhere else but there. Sitting there, supporting her awful boyfriend was the last thing she wanted.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀----------------------------------------
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The clock ticked down to zero and the opposing team got in one more touchdown, meaning Eastside High had officially lost the championship.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The other side of bleachers erupted into loud claps and hoots, while the Eastside kids sat there looking gloomy. Except Mackenzie, she really couldn't care less who won.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Boo hoo they lost, they pretty much suck anyway!" She said annoyed at the fact that she just sat through a two hour game only for her school to loose. Of course football wasn't her thing, and she really didn't care who won, she just kinda hoped her school wouldn't make such a fool out of themselves.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Connor's good." Jayden aid defensively, and Kenzie rolled her eyes as she began to stand up from the silver bleachers she sat on. As soon as she stood up, she fixed her perfectly curled hair so that it bounced over her shoulders.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Mhm he's amazing." Kenzie said sarcastically, making Jayden's blood boil. She had been so tired of Kenzie's attitude all night. She was always mean. It didn't matter if she was happy, it didn't matter if she was sad she was still snarky and rude.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Whatever." Jayden whispered just low enough that Kenzie pretended she didn't hear it. She wasn't in the mood to argue full on so she just ignored her.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I'm gonna go down and consul my boyfriend like the good little girlfriend I am. Brynn wanna come?" Kenzie asked discluding Jayden just making the other girl more mad. She hated when her best friend did stuff like this, sometimes she didn't know why she stayed friends with Kenzie. There was just something about her, you hated and loved her at the same time.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I actually gotta go, I'm really sorry." Brynn said nervously considering the awful mood Kenzie seemed to be in that night. The truth was her parents had been fighting all day long which made her super pissed off.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Okay, later losers." Kenzie answered jokingly as she began to walk down the endless steps that lead down to the field. Sometimes she didn't even know why she was so mean. It wasn't even like this is what she wanted, she wanted to be nice, to have real friends.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As she neared the end of the steppes she remembered the other day with Johnny. She had gotten a glimpse of what her life would be like if she was always kind.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Kenzie had seen a do-over with Johnny and she took it. He was someone new, someone who didn't know awful monster she really was. She liked how him and Lauren treated her when she was nice, she just didn't know how long she could keep her real self concealed.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As her foot touched the damp field, Kenzie's eyes landed on her brunette boyfriend. He ripped his helmet off of his head and threw it into the ground angry.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Hayden ran a hand through his messy, damp, curly hair as he paced back and forth. Kenzie rolled her eyes, although she did understand why he was acting that way. He was the star quarter back and he let his team down, and there were his parents who had this whole future for him as a famous football player. They got extremely mad when he lost.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"If it's any conciliation you did great." Kenzie said as convincingly as she could as she neared Hayden. He looked up at her and they locked eyes.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Don't pretend like you care Mackenzie." Hayden snapped wiping the fake smile off of the other girls face.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"At least I'm trying to pretend like we're happy. I am the one who should be mad at you..." She answered annoyed, making Hayden furious. He had been so fed up with everything, his controlling parents, the fact that he sucked at football, and the fact that Kenzie was still mad at him. So, he decided to take it out on her, even though somewhere deep down he knew it was wrong.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Leave me the fuck alone." Hayden spat, making Kenzie's checks turn red in fury.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Can you at least try not to be a huge jerk for five minutes?" She asked sarcastically. There were so many people around them and she knew this wasn't the place to argue, but no one seemed to be listening anyway.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I can't because I'm not a fake ass bitch like you...Excuse me I need to go find Annie." Hayden said cockily walking past her, leaving Kenzie with her jaw dropped. He had never been that cruel before, and she didn't like it one bit, but she wasn't  in the mood to go after him and get in a argument. She just wanted to leave, but it wasn't really like she wanted to go home either.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Kenzie turned in her heels and began speed walking towards the parking lot. Halfway there, once no one could see her anymore, tears started streaming down her face. Everything was too much anymore.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Hayden just kept showing her that he hated her over and over. Her parent's fights were so bad anymore, she was constantly crying herself to sleep. She was in a deep, deep depression and she hadn't realized it herself. Worst of all, she had no one.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Due to being lost in her thoughts, and her vision being blurred by tears, all of a sudden Kenzie walked into a hard structure. It snapped her out of her little daze and she looked up to be met with the mesmerizing green eyes of Johnny.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh, hey." He said as he noticed who he had bumped into. Johnny looked at her more closely and notice the glistening on her checks of tears.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Hey, uh why do we keep meeting like this?" Kenzie faked laughed as he she quickly took the edge of her sweater and wiped her face, but Johnny had already noticed her misdemeanor.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What's wrong?" He asked, and she looked back up at him. Kenzie pretended to be confused, but she had a feeling he could see right through her acts. No one else ever seemed to, but just by the look on his face she knew he could.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What do you mean?" She asked brushing off the fact that he had caught her crying. If people knew how bad her life truly was, or how weak she actually was she'd be destroyed.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Don't lie." He answered, as Kenzie began walking again. Johnny fell into rhythm right next to her.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Just a stupid fight with my boyfriend." Kenzie partly lied. It was half true but honestly what had her upset was so much more than just that. It was her loneliness, her lack of love, her lack of trust and friends. Her life lacked so many things, but she was popular, pretty and rich so...she should be happy right?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Are you sure?" Johnny asked concerned as they approached Mackenzie's white Range Rover. She grabbed her keys out of her purse and unlocked the car doors.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Yes, but it's cute that you're worried about me." Kenzie smiled, and so did Johnny. She already loved the friendship they were forming because it was real. She didn't have to be a 'fake ass bitch' around him, as Hayden had said. There was just something about Johnny that made her feel...comfortable. Which was very odd because he was basically a stranger, and she usually was very mean and closed off with people she didn't know well.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Very funny...okay we'll get home safe. See ya on Monday." Johnny added as he turned around waving goodbye. Kenzie waved back with a slight smile on her face, as she got into her car.