Chapter Eleven

⠀⠀⠀⠀

                  Mackenzie had a tough weekend. She didn't answer anyone's texts, or calls, despite some people's endless attempts. She had felt so defeated, and so worthless.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She never loved Hayden but never would she actually cheat on him. She kissed Johnny to make him jealous, to make him maybe decide she was enough. As much as she hated to admit it, there was some type of attachment she felt to the boy, and it made her sad that it was broken.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She also knew it was pathetic that she even cared that they broke up. She should have felt strong and independent. Yet, she sat home for the whole weekend, locked in her room eating ice cream.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Now it was already Friday somehow and she was at school once again. She had done her usual routine of strutting throw the hallways with Brynn and Jayden. The past couple days it took a lot more effort to stay composed than usual.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀When everyone had asked why she hadn't answered all weekend she said she had went on a surprise trip to Beverly Hills with her parents and had no service. Except the problem was their were a few people she ended up ignoring all week as well. The only two people who knew her true where about were Hayden and Johnny.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As of right then she was in Math class, also known as first period. She had been doing good in that class since her tutor sessions with Johnny, but she was back to being spaced out. Considering she had skipped her tutoring that week, because she was ashamed of her behavior the last Friday. She was scared Johnny thought she was pathetic, even though he had no idea what had happened.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Mr. Blake had been talking and talking and Kenzie hadn't heard one word he had spoken. She didn't care either, she was in a specifically bitchy mood and was pre-pared to snap at anyone if the opportunity presented itself.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She couldn't stop thinking about everything. Her dad was leaving them, who knew when, but it was happening soon. She got cheated on multiple times, and broke up with her boyfriend since freshman year. Her friends didn't actually care about her, she had called them last Friday before she called Johnny, just hoping maybe she wouldn't have to face him all crying and stuff.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She had even texted the telling them what's was going on but they left her on read. They had a sleepover on Friday too, so they also were now excluding her, not that she didn't deserve it.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Kenzie." Someone whispered, as they poked her shoulder. She looked up to met with the dazzling green eyes that belonged to Johnny. She also noticed that there was no one else in the classroom.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Where is everyone?" Kenzie panicked, as she looked over all the empty desks.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"The bell rang, you were zoned out." Johnny answered and Kenzie's eyes widened. She sat up quickly and began shoving things in her back pack.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Shit, shit, shit." She muttered as she zipped up her bag. How could she have not heard the bell ring? How could she be that stupid?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She quickly slung her bag over her shoulders and began walking away from her desk, when she noticed Johnny still standing in the doorway.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"What are you doing you're late to class?" Kenzie asked urgently as they both began to exit the room. He followed next to her steadily.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I was waiting for you." He answered as if she should have known that. She wasn't used to people caring for her, so it felt weird. She had lots of friends they were just never there for her when it counted. Johnny seemed to always be there though.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Well...thank you." She answered and Johnny just nodded. She waved goodbye as she walked into her next class awaiting the trouble she'd get in.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀--------------------------------------
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Kenzie was home from school, so now she was at her for real hell. Being home anymore sucked more than learning in a stuffy classroom. That's saying a lot.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She had been just watching TV in her living room, because for the first time in a couple days, she didn't feel like complete shit. She felt kind of happy, and wanted in a way. Everyone else in her class had left her, when she clearly hadn't heard the bell. Johnny waited though.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Lost in her thoughts, Kenzie hadn't even realized her parents were fighting. She never intentionally paid attention to their awful words, it was just hard not to hear them.  Right then though, she didn't hear their argument until a few specific words caught her attention.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Get out, get the fuck out Kurt." Mellissa yelled, and Kenzie looked up from the TV. Did she hear what she thought she just heard?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"You don't have to tell me twice." Her dad snapped back and it was like her heart sank to her stomach. Her dad was leaving, he was actually leaving.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She heard his loud footsteps thumping up the stairs. She heard closet doors slam open as she assumed he pulled out his suitcase and began packing everything.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Kenzie didn't know what to do. She didn't know what to say, and she felt like she couldn't move.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Somehow she found the power in her to stand up form the couch. She grabbed her phone up from the other couch, and began dialing a number when something else happened.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Her dad came barreling down the stairs with two suitcases in hand. The whole ordeal must have been longer than she thought if he was able to pack up that much stuff.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He walked right by the kitchen that Mackenzie's mom was in, and began walking towards the living room. Kenzie stood awkwardly in the corner as he didn't even give her a second glance, as he walked out the door.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He didn't even look at her, he didn't say good hey he just walked out. It didn't feel real, it absolutely felt like a dream.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Mackenzie began speed walking towards the kitchen. She needed to make sure her mom was okay, she needed to focus her attention on anything else but the tears that were threatening to spill out of her eyes.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀As soon as she walked through the door, she saw her mom sitting at the island counter in the middle of the kitchen. She had a drink of some type of alcohol in one hand, and tears, and smeared makeup stained her face.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Mom...are you okay?" Kenzie asked, quietly. Her mother looked up, and gave her the nastiest glare she had ever seen.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Leave me the fuck alone Mackenzie." She spat angrily, as she took another sip of her drink. She seemed so mad that Kenzie was thanking god that her mom hadn't found out about the fact that she broke up with Hayden. She couldn't imagine the type of wrath that'd be unleashed if she did know.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Uh-okay." Kenzie muttered under her breath as she began to turn around to leave. She walked out of the door into the living room.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Hot tears fell down her checks and she felt like her heart broke for the actual millionth time. It felt like it was impossible to break something that had already been broken so many times.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀There was only one person she wanted to see, so she took her phone back out and continued calling the number she had started to dial.