16. Preparing

The train back to Twelve leaves punctual at 9:00 a.m. Peeta and Katniss have a little compartment for their own and sit side by side looking out of the window.

“It was a wonderful time here.” Katniss says thoughtful.

“Yes, you’re right. We met our friends, Haymitch and Effie are back together, we found a new home and a bakery and best of all the girl I love said YES.” Peeta puts his hands on her cheeks and leans in to kiss her. “And soon we’ll have it every day.”

“I love you, Peeta. But there is one thing you must promise you’ll never do again. Please don’t stay that long under water, you scared me to death, when I couldn’t find you. I don’t want to live without you and I can’t.” Silent tears fall on his shirt.

“Oh, Katniss, I’m sorry! I never wanted to scare you but the wave came so suddenly and I lost the grip of your hand. I promise I’ll never again go into the water when the waves are so high.” Peeta pulls her into his arms and brushes her hair to calm her down.

“Let’s sleep a while. There’s a lot to do, when we’re back home.” He suggests and Katniss agrees with her head on his chest.

Back home in Twelve Peeta calls Paylor to tell her about their decision to move to Four and ask her if she knows somebody who could work as a baker in Twelve because they need a new bakery here. Paylor promises first to send somebody who can rebuild the bakery and after that it’ll be no problem to find a new baker.

“Peeta, doesn’t you forgot to tell me something else.” Paylor asks and Peeta can hear her smile through the phone.

Peeta lifts his eyebrow and replies “How can you know about something?”

“Oh, ahm, there was a phone call yesterday. Congratulations to your engagement, Peeta!” Paylor ends the call.

Peeta walks upstairs to find Katniss unpacking their clothes.

“Paylor knew about the engagement.” He says still irritated.

Katniss looks up “Who should tell her? Oh, no. I think I knew who!” she shouts in a squeaky voice, holds her hand up and tiptoes through the bedroom.

Peeta bursts out laughing and falls back on the bed. Laughing in her own voice Katniss jumps on his side. “I bet she’s already planning the wedding.”

“Yeah, that’s Effie.” He smiles and pulls his fiancé in for a long kiss.

It smells of stew when Katniss goes to call Prim and her mother. Twenty minutes later she’s back in the kitchen wraps her arms around his waist and lays her head on his back.

“Have you spoken with them?” Peeta asks.

“Only with my mother. She is very happy and I shall greet you from her. She said she never could have wished for a better son-in-law.” Katniss sits down at the table. “I didn’t speak to Prim, one of the teachers told me she’s on a course in the woods to learn about medicinal plants. She’s away the whole week and there’s no phone nearby, but I could write a letter he said they will send the mail to the course in three days.”

“Ok, we can do it together after dinner if you wish.” He puts two plates on the table and sits down opposite her.

They write a very detailed letter for Prim and then talks about the things to do the next few days.

“We can take some furniture from here for our new house but we’ll need also some new and you must order the new counter for the bakery.” Katniss starts writing a list.

“You’re right. For the bakery I need some other things, but fortunately I can use the old oven. I think in Four we can get the most things we need so we can save time for the transport.” Peeta answers.

The next day Haymitch arrives and directly starts to pack all his stuff what’s not very much because Effie has her own idea of the things they need. He walks over to the couple and hopes for something to eat.   

“Hey Haymitch, did you smell the cheese buns?” Peeta greets him at the door with a smile.

“I only want to visit, but if you ask me I wouldn’t say no.” He grins back and walks in.

After some cheese buns with ham and eggs Haymitch tells them with how much enthusiasm Effie starts planning the renovation of their new house.

“I’m afraid after she finished everything is pink.” He wails and the two opposite him start laughing.

The next day after Haymitch left with only one bag to have an eye on Effie’s renovation Peeta and Katniss start a goodbye tour through District Twelve.

They walk to the hob avoiding the old bakery because it still causes Peeta flashbacks, have a look at the ruins of Katniss’ old house at the seam and turn to go for a picnic at the lake.

“Do you remember our first time at this lake, when I tried to show you how to swim?” Katniss lifts her head from his chest to have a better look at him.

He smiles. “Yes sure. It was so cold that day but I didn’t want to be a coward in front of you and got in the water. Although I paddled a few yards I think we have to deepen my skills when we’re in Four.”

“I can show you now.” Katniss suggests.

“No thank you, I just wanna lie here and enjoy the nature with you on my side.”

On their way back home Katniss suddenly shouts “Oh the tree is still standing.”

“What tree?”

“Do you remember the evening when the peacekeepers awaits me at home and I came in with my hip and foot in pain?”

“Yeah, our play with the goat getting covered and the wrong entrance east or west.” Peeta answers.

“See this big tree with the huge branch going over the fence? After they activated the fence I climbed at this tree and crawled over the branch and let me fall down.”

“What?” Peeta gasps. “Katniss, I didn’t know. It’s so high, you’ve got killed. I thought there must have happened something like this, but this tree? Oh my God, it still makes me shake and I’m really glad you didn’t die!” He pulls her in and holds her tight for a long time.

A week later Peeta walks through the house to be sure they don’t forget something important.

“We packed everything the furniture is at its way and we have to go too.” Katniss give him a peck on his neck.

“I look forward to our new life so much and I’m so glad at least realize my real feelings for you.” Katniss starts crying a little.

“I love you, honey. Come on let’s start our new life!” Peeta kisses her and takes the bags.

Together they walk the last time under the Victors’ Village sign to the station.  

Hours later they arrive in Four. They stand at the gate and look from one side to the other. “What happened? Nobody is here to get us as promised. I hope they are alright.” Peeta worries.