Deep Waters (Keo)

requested by black_snow88

Jaehwan leaned over the side of the ship, gazing into the shimmering sea. The wind ruffled his ebony hair.

Jaehwan loved the feeling of the wind in his hair and closed his eyes, breathing in the salty air. 

"Captain!" A voice called him from the top deck. Jaehwan opened his eyes begrudgingly and walked up to the crew member that had called him. 

"What is it?" Jaehwan asked her, running his fingers through his hair. 

"We're entering the rumored mermen territory. Should we change course or keep going?" the girl, Hana, asked her captain.  

Jaehwan smirked, "We'll keep sailing. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to catch one of the bastards."

Hana nodded and continued steering the ship forward. Jaehwan knew that the damned sirens wouldn't be able to keep away their curiosity and would wander over to the boat to explore. That's when he'd snatch one. 

Jaehwan was determined to finally catch one of them. The mermen were rumored to have a feminine-like beauty to them and could capture the hearts of both men and women alike. Jaehwan was curious about the mysterious creatures, but he also resented them.

They were secretly ferocious under all the glittering skin and pastel scales. Jaehwan knew. 

He was 13 when his brother was dragged out to sea by one of the monsters. Jaehwan watched as the water turned red with his brothers blood and the waves washed away his remains. Jaehwan vowed to take revenge on the one who had committed the act.

He was going to make sure that happened today, while he had the chance.

- - -

"Sir! A couple have been spotted near the hull!" A tall male named Hyungwon called, his voice excited. 

Jaehwan grinned at the news and rushed to give orders to his crew. "Get the nets, the spears! Tonight...the hunt will begin," Jaehwan said, rubbing his hands together in anticipation. 

HIs second-in-command, Ravi, hurried to talk to his friend. "Jaehwan, are you sure we should do this? I'm sure none of them are responsible for...you know..." Ravi said, tugging on Jaehwan's sleeve worriedly. 

Jaehwan just shook him off. "It doesn't matter, Ravi! If it's the one who killed Minhyuk or not, it doesn't make a difference. I will capture one no matter what," Jaehwan growled, stalking to the side of the boat with a spear in hand. 

Ravi looked at his best friend with sadness. He hoped Jaehwan would change his mind about this, because Ravi knew he would regret it later. 

"Lower the net!" Jaehwan shouted as he held a spear in the water. He must have caught something. The arm holding the tool was jerking around as if something on the other end was struggling desperately. 

The crew members struggled to lower the net down into the dark water on the orders of their captain.

"Pull it this way! I've got one snagged. Hurry, before it breaks free," Jaehwan barked, telling his crew what they needed to do. The crew pulled the net to the side and Jaehwan dragged his spear at the same time. 

"Okay, everybody help hoist it up onto the deck. And I mean everybody!" Jaehwan shouted, holding the spear tightly. 

"One, two...three, pull!" Everyone pulled with all their strength at the count of three.