Wonderland (OnKey)

Takes place in the Deadman Wonderland universe, a manga written by Jinsei Kataoka and Kazuma Kondou

if you would like more info to try and understand what's happening here better, just search up the wiki page for the anime and you'll be all set.

- - -

KEY

Tokyo was in ruin. Complete ruin.

The earthquake that destroyed us was a killing force. I discovered this as it happened.

I watched as my family were crushed under the falling buildings, their blood splattering on my face. I was helpless, I wasn't fast enough, I wasn't strong enough to pull the rocks off my little sister's body.

My hands felt like they were coated in blood.

I wasn't fast enough to save my best friend. That anger set it off - this horrible, vicious power. And I attacked him in rage, the police officer who took Taemin away from me, the only one I had.

It was all my fault.

I never wanted to hurt someone, so why...why?

Why would God give me the power to kill?

- - -

ONEW

This world hadn't been as cruel to me as it could have been. I was alone in the first place; the earthquake caused me to lose no one.

So I survived on my own.

I stole whatever food and money I could to keep myself alive and walked the streets aimlessly. I never made mistakes, always stealing from empty places or when a shop owner was away for a moment.

But one day I wasn't careful enough and one of the owners saw me with my hand in his cash register and a piece of bread in my mouth.

In seconds, my ears were ringing from the gunshot and there was a searing pain in my shoulder.

In minutes, all I could see was red and the image of my bloody hands.

In minutes, the rage consumed me and I didn't know what I was doing.

In hours, I was sitting on death row for murder.

In months, I was fully aware of what I was: a Deadman.

In months, I had become a monster, only trying to save myself.

- - -

Onew wouldn't exactly say being on death row was fun. His death sentence was hanging around his neck, the needle that injected poison in him a constant threat.

Onew had enough cast points by now to last almost a year. Onew was careful not to get into any fights and lose the precious points that kept him alive.

He swallowed a piece of the bitter candy, feeling the sour taste of it burn his throat. Wincing, Onew slid open the door to his room and walked into the cramped hallway.

His mind was filled with thoughts of Carnival Corpse – the sick game that pitted the Deadmen against each other for the pleasure of the rich.

This game had turned Onew into a killer, into someone who was trying to save themselves on a whole other level. On several occasions, Onew's own Branch of Sin – Zeig der Sunde – had mutilated people to the point that there was nothing left of them to bet on.