Rabbi, Shalom

Rabbi, Shalom

Adam entered the computer room where Jesse, Emma, Revolution and Angela were waiting for him carrying a strange object in his hand. It looked like a large black cloth disc. "What is that?" asked Emma.

"A kippah," answered Angela, while Adam clipped the piece of cloth to the top of his head.

"A what?" asked Rev.

"The traditional Jewish head cover."

Emma couldn't help herself. "Are you Jewish?"

"You know the answer to that question," Adam smiled.

"None of my damn business, I know." Emma smiled back.

"The man I'll talk to is Jewish, though, an ultra-orthodox Jew," he explained. "I can't even talk to him with my head uncovered, he'd be offended. His name is Menachem Meir ben Shlomo. His business is to know what happens in the world. Specially what others want to keep secret. Ladies, please, out of sight."

Typing a command in the digital keyboard, the holographic image of an elderly gentleman, his head covered by a large black hat, with curls dropping from either temple and a long beard came into view. "Rabbi Meir, shalom," started Adam, and the two men engaged in a conversation in a fast paced and strange sounding language.

"What gibberish is that?" Jesse asked no-one in particular.

"Hebrew," mouthed Angela. "This man must be Mossad."

The conversation took a long time and the only thing the four younger mutants could see was that Adam asked the questions and the old gentleman answered them. And that Adam's face darkened as the conversation proceeded. After a while, Adam respectfully thanked the old man and turned the hologram off. "Huston, we have a problem," he said, unclipping the kippah and rubbing his eyes.