Trade Off

Adam was furious. That man, Lareou, was getting on his nerves. Not Eckhart, not even Ashlocke had made him run from one place to the other, putting out fires. Lately, Adam had done nothing but react to the New Order's antics. He placed his hands on Riley Jackson's shoulders. The girl looked gaunt, spent. "There is no way I'll let you turn yourself in to that bastard, Riley."

"And what exactly is the alternative? Letting Max die?" Her eyes and nose were red and swollen.

"No, finding and rescuing him before that."

Revolution shook her head. The image of Max's beaten body was clear in her mind. "He won't last that long. He'll be dead before you get there."

Adam looked at Lux Windsor. "And I assume there is no way to pinpoint his location. Does he have a GPS implant?"

Lux shook her head.

"A comm system? Anything?"

Revolution's nerves were getting raw. The fastest she turned herself in, the fastest Max would be released. "He is a comm system!"

"Without a backup, or a firewall to protect it! Very smart, Revolution!"

"In case you didn't notice, he's unconscious."

"And no one has the foggiest idea where Lareou's hideout might be." Adam turned around, speaking to all Ringers present. "No one imagined something like this could happen. Very good."

Revolution pulled his arm. "That's why this is the only choice. He wants me and I'm gonna give him what he wants."

Adam shook himself off Rev's desperate grasp. "Don't flatter yourself, Riley. He doesn't want you. He wants my security system. You have it in your head. And you're not giving it to him on a silver platter."

Revolution's eyes shone brighter than if she were a feral. "Do you really think me that weak? I'll take whatever comes. I'm not sacrificing Max because..."

"Because, what?"

"Because he's just a kid!" Revolution seldom cried, but the idea of a child held prisoner and tortured made her lose control of her emotions.

"And you've lost too many kids to our foes, be them the GSA or the New Order. Believe me, Riley, I understand."

"No, you don't."

"If you fall into Lareou's hands and he manages to get what he really wants from you, you might doom us all."

"I'll kill myself first and he knows it," said Revolution, meaning every word.

"There are ways, Riley. He has psionics in his troops. I don't want to see you dead. Or worse."

"You don't have a choice. I'm not letting you choose between me or Max, Adam."

"Riley, I can't keep you here against your will." He turned to face the Ring leader. "And Lux will support your decision. But I have to make sure you won't direct Lareou to Sanctuary. Or the whole Underground network."

"It's already been taking care of," said Revolution, touching her temple.

"Is Lux doing something to your mind? I was about to make Emma wipe your memory of our security system."

"The only thing that's left is some random access codes for safe houses long abandoned." She smiled at her psionic friends. "Emma and Lux put a whammy on me."

Adam knew it could be a golden opportunity to reach the New Order. "Very well, give me your arm." He pulled a small syringe from his pocket.

Revolution exposed her inner arm. Holding her wrist, Adam inserted the needle and a small chip nestled below the girl's skin. "This is a satellite location device, much like the one on all our cars and on your com link ring." Pulling out the needle, he looked directly into her eyes. "Only, it will be placed under your skin. Instead of you directing Lareou to Sanctuary, you'll direct us to his hideout, wherever it is."