In Stasis

The Helix turned slightly to the right as it landed in its hanger. The side hatch opened wide and a ramp slid till it touched the bottom of the cave. The tall, lanky man rolled the gurney with the box up the ramp and into the VTOL. Inside, the lights were dim, the only bright spot was on the floating body above a MedChair. Brennan and Jesse, leaving the controls, stood at the feet and head of the chair. Adam typed a command on the box's panel and the lid snapped open, revealing the series of laser beams, photoelectric cells and other sensors that lined the walls of the pod and that would keep the boy in stasis while they searched for a way to save his life.

Adam approached Donna and Emma, kneeling between them. He placed his hand on the multi-psionic's shoulder. Donna was drenched, sweat actually dripping from her brow through her cheeks and falling on her soaked tank top, her hair plastered to her head and neck. He spoke low and firm. "Turn off the mind field, Donna."

Slowly, Donna's hands made a circular motion in the air and the mother-of-pearl shimmer surrounding Max's body died down and disappeared.

Adam nodded to Brennan and Jesse. The young mutants touched Max's back and ankles, guiding the floating form from the chair to hover just above the pod. "Now, lower Max into the pod, Donna. It is ready to receive him." Then, Adam turned to the right and addressed Emma. "Release vegetative control."

Emma DeLauro was in no better shape than Donna Gryphon. She was also soaking wet and flushed, panting from the effort of keeping Max in suspended animation. Returning from the meditation state she had plunged in, she lifted her head and opened her eyes as she relinquished control to the machine, now humming softly, the beams blinking rithmically.

Adam motioned to MacGyver. "Close the lid, Mac. It will put him in stasis automatically. Could you and Jesse take the pods to the MedLab, please?"

MacGyver nodded and looked closely at Donna and Emma. "They don't look good, you know. What happened?"

"Long story. They're absolutely exhausted. There wasn't a pod left in Haven and we had to improvise. Actually, there wasn't much left of Haven. Period."

"That bad?"

"Worse. How are things here?" asked Adam, calling Brennan and Cat to help with the exhausted psionics.

"Steve is organizing everything with Corby Valentine, that chubby fellow, Ruby, and Vince Meisel. They're at the clinic, with Makenna and Zack. Those two are working themselves into a frenzy over the attack on Haven."

"I'll help them as soon as I can. Now, I have to take care of Max. And Donna. And Emma. The girls need rest and nourishment, really. They're burnt out."

"Then I'll let Jamie know. She is in full grandmother gear. Get them to bed and she will give them some soup as soon as they can eat." And they started rolling the pods out of the aircraft.

As Brennan and Cat helped Emma stand and leave the Helix, Adam called Donna softly. The psionic opened her eyes. "Max?" she asked in a whisper.

"Safely podded."

She nodded. "Emma?"

"Brennan and Cat have her."

She nodded again. "Revolution?"

This time Adam bit his upper lip. "No news." He helped her stand. "And you, Donna? You think of everybody else but yourself."

"Man, that was a doozie," she said with a little chuckle and tried to walk, but her legs refused to take a single step. "I've never been so tired..." Her knees gave.

With a fluid motion, Adam picked her up in his arms, cradling her. Donna had been sorely tested both physically and emotionally in the time she had spent with Mutant X fighting the New Order. It was now taking its toll. She needed rest bad. He took the elevator to the third floor, where his office and bedroom were located. There, he laid her down on the bed, took off all her damp clothes, dried her body and covered her up. She never stirred. Only when he kissed her hand she smiled faintly.