Chapter 17: Heartbreaks and Goodbyes.

I put the Invisiblo spell on myself and follow Draco, I catch up with him on the stairs to the 7th floor. He heads to the room of requirements and enters, before I follow him in, the door closes behind him. I don’t want him to know that I’m following him, so I wait outside. After a few minutes Ron, Ginny and Neville appear, they appear to be keeping watch as well. Something’s up, that’s not normal. I keep standing there trying not to make any sound.

“How long should we stand here? Are you even sure he’s in there?” Neville asks.

Ron replies defensively, they all seem that they don’t want to be here, “Look Neville, I promised Harry that we’ll keep watch and try to stop whatever Malfoy is trying to do. He’s sure that something’s up.”

Ginny is the only one sure of what they’re doing, “Give him some credit and trust him guys.”

This won’t work, I know. When Draco goes out and sees them he may do something, he must have a way. And he won’t be alone, they will either fight or disappear. The best thing to do is to stand far enough to keep an ear on what’s going on and avoid Draco escaping me and at the same time be here if anyone tried to hurt my friends. I move quietly till I reach the end of the corridor near the stairs, anyone will pass by here. I stay there for like an hour and then I hear footsteps, I look at the corridor to find it pitch black, then Draco emerges from the black smoke holding his hideous hand of Glory and leading what looks like half a dozen of black coats. He heads to my direction, I walk next to him but keep a fair distance. They’re all walking silently and he looks paler than it’s even possible. I want so bad to stun them all, but I don’t dare. Stunning just one of them will give me away. I keep silently walking next to them. They don’t say much, it seems that everything is pre-planned. Near the astronomy tower some of the Order members catch up with them and a fight breaks out. I keep my eye on Draco, following him. But I stun a stocky little woman on my way. I follow Draco up the astronomy tower towards Dumbledore’s office, my heart is beating so loud in my chest. I’m just behind him as we go in on Dumbledore standing there looking like he’s waiting for us. His wand is in his hand, raised and Draco disarms him in a second.

I’m standing there in shock, I can’t handle seeing Draco do that. How could he? He can’t do it. He can’t kill him. He just doesn’t have it in him. He speaks to Dumbledore, I’m not sure if he’s buying time or just bragging about how he outsmarted his Headmaster. His voice is harsh and proud, but it has some uncertainty to it. You can’t catch it if you don’t know him as well as I do, but Dumbledore does, telling him that he isn’t a killer. I can’t handle listening to this Draco, this is not the one I fell for. The way he’s looking forward to be Voldemort’s favorite and the way he talks to Dumbledore, it makes me sick. I point my wand in his direction, ready to attack, when Dumbledore looks directly at me. Instinctively I look at myself to see that my spell has faded.

I look at Dumbledore in horror as he speaks, “Ahhh. Elizabeth, don’t do that, you’ll regret it if you hurt him. I know how much you care about him, it was evident in your eyes when you came to warn me that someone has been planning to kill me.”

Draco looks at me in horror, “What are you doing here? Leave, now! You’ll get hurt. Lizzy, You promised!”

I’m breathing heavily, feeling trapped. I can’t hurt him. It’s even evident in my voice, “Step away, Draco and put your wand down. I can’t let you do this. Please, please don’t do this.” My voice softens at the end.