Chapter 3

The questioning continued for days as teams were dispatched to Suna to warn them of the impending danger and to send some undercover near the boarder of the Sound. They didn't want to risk infiltrating quite yet. They would notice if someone new suddenly arrived. The Leaf didn't want to exactly hand her back over either in case she could be used against them in some way. And just to be safe if Kadence was lying and only following the orders of her father then they had some leverage. But some of the ninja were beginning to question if this was such a good idea keeping her and the team in the Village. It didn't appear that Kadence wished to go through with her father's original plan. But even that could be a lie. Ninjas were skilled in the art of deception when the moment presented itself.

Though Naruto would always somehow manage to sneak back to the questioning room standing behind the one-way mirror before someone came to take her back to the cell. He never pried too much into her personal life, more focused on wanting to know about her act and the crew that worked behind the stage. It was odd to the older teen since Naruto didn't appear to be like the others. The knucklehead almost seemed to care in a sense.

"We are granting Kadence and her crew freedom to walk around the Village. However, they are to stay in Konoha, and be monitored for a time," Tsunade relayed. "We need to be sure they are telling the truth and don't think about skipping out on us to inform the Sound we know of the attack. I'm looking for five volunteers for this job."

Kotetsu, Izumo, Kakashi, Gai, and Iruka all raised their hands, being assigned to specific groups of people. "What about the singer, Kadence?" Kiba asked.

The Hokage clasped her hands together, leaning forward against the table. "I was getting to that. I am asking for one ninja to house, and look after Kadence on a twenty-four hour basis. It's still unclear as to if we have all the information we need. Then there's also a chance that Sound Ninja could infiltrate and try to kidnap her. Any takers?"

The room was silent for a few seconds before someone spoke up, "I'll do it." Their heads turned to look at Naruto, who was raising a hand. "I'll watch over her."

"As if you have the qualification to do that," Kiba scoffed rolling his eyes.

"Well I don't see you raising your hand," he shot back. The young man growled in response.

"Enough!" Tsunade ordered. "Naruto has a point, Kiba. You did not offer, so I wouldn't be talking." Scoffing and embarrassed that the Hokage put him in the spotlight Kiba stepped away. "Naruto, are you sure about this? It's dangerous, and you'll have to be on your guard all times." The Chuunin had a determined look in his eyes, nodding in response. "Very well, then I am appointing you to the care of Kadence Edo."

"This way," Ibiki instructed, leading Naruto to the cell. The singer sat on the bed, back against the wall looking bored as ever. Upon opening the door, her eyes darted over to the young man, watching him walk in.

"What's going on?" Kadence asked.

"You're coming with me." She recognized the voice from their many talks before. "I'm Naruto Uzumaki, and I'll be looking after you."

She chuckled without emotion, looking away. "I didn't think you'd be serious about taking the job as a babysitter."

"I'm not babysitting. I'm just making sure nothing happens to you. That doesn't mean that you can't go about your life."

"With a ninja following me around. You forgot that one detail."

"Do you want to get out of here or not?"

"Don't know. I don't care for much of anything anymore. Stay in or go out, fight or sit on the sidelines, be alone or with someone... I don't care."