Chapter 26

Naruto was surprised when his eyes opened to find himself lying in a hospital bed. He couldn't understand how he had gotten there, trying to recall his last memory. And everything came rushing back with such force it nearly made him reel at the thought of the pale singer covered in blood. But he had tried to save her, Kiba, Sakura, and him. The young man was so close, he could feel it and then there was a blinding light... and that was the last thing he remembered.

The door on the far side of the room opened a worn out looking Sakura entering, but when her eyes landed on the conscious ninja her expression brightened. "Kiba!" she called down the hall. The retreating figure whirled around at his name. "He's awake!"

Hurried footsteps echoed in the long hall as a bandaged Inuzuka poked his head in and smirked, "Good afternoon, sleeping beauty."

"Shut it," Naruto grumbled. His throat was raw and scratchy reaching over for the glass of water set out on the table beside the bed. Sakura quickly set to work checking over charts and vital organs before relaying that his health had indeed returned and was fit to leave as soon as the Hokage came by to debrief him. "What happened?"

With the Sound defeated those left tried to escape. But Ibiki led the hunt, dragging back as many as they could to be interrogated before standing trial. Those who had slipped too far into madness were a danger to themselves and their captors and ANBU had no choice but to dispose of them. The damage to the Village was great and as the civilians were lead from the mountain many wept at the sight. The last time their homes were in such a state had been when Pein attacked. Nothing could compare to that, but it was close. They were starting to rebuild once more.

"Where's Emi?"

The two shared a look before the young woman glared at her partner, making him nervous from her obvious anger. "You have got to be the most stupid ninja I've ever met," Sakura scolded. "You nearly didn't make it, even with Kiba and my own chakra as help."

"We couldn't move when it was all over," Kiba stated. "The Hokage found us with Shizune and we were taken here. You were the only one unconscious though. It took all of Kakashi's strength to pry your hand from hers."

"But where is she? I want to see her."

"Emi's not here," Kiba answered. Dread filled him at the thought that his efforts had failed. Emi was dead, her corpse either buried already or somewhere in the Leaf waiting to be. Naruto wasn't sure he could handle the sight of her body. Forever unmoving. The thought alone made his heart race.

Noticing his panic, the medical ninja quickly spoke up, "She slipped into a coma shortly after you collapsed. Her eyes opened, appearing to gasp before slipping under with you. Once we knew Emi was stable we sent her on an emergency transport to the Land of Hot Water. They have the most advanced healers and with the state we're in... there's no way we could have treated her properly. But for now she's still breathing."

Fueled with newfound determination, the young man threw away the bed covers trying to usher himself to the edge of the mattress. But his legs felt heavy, muscles aching not only from lack of movement but the lingering effects of the chakra transfer. "What are you doing?" Sakura exclaimed.

"I have to see her."

The ninja roughly pushed him back onto the bed with such strength it made the air rush out of his lungs. "You're not going anywhere! You can barely walk!"

"Easy on him, Sakura," Kiba chuckled. "He's not up to his full demon strength yet. You may break him."

Her grip just barely loosened. "I can't just sit around and do nothing!" Naruto shouted.

"But that's the thing, we can't do anything."

"I'm going to the Land of Hot Water!"

"You can't."

"Why not?" he snapped.

"Because it's the rules. Only those with injuries such as hers and the healers are allowed on those scared grounds. You're just going to have to wait. Nothing you say will change their laws. Besides the Hokage wouldn't allow it. We're facing an international crisis right now trying to figure out what to do exactly with those left in the Sound. The Kages have been summoned to meet and we need everyone we can to protect the villagers for other threats if out there."

Defeated Naruto slumped in his bed, sighing heavily. "What if she doesn't get better?" he dared to ask. None wished to think that way, but their concerns had to be voiced. He at least wished to see her once last time and be there for support should something happen.

"You saved her," Sakura spoke calmly. Her grip changed, taking his hand in hers out of comfort. "She's alive and breathing. Wouldn't be if you didn't transfer our chakra. Only time will tell if Emi will pull through." And the young woman offered a kind smile. "Though if she's anything like you've said and we've seen she's a fighter and you have nothing to worry about."