Chapter 7

There wasn't much Emi could do but sit outside the office of the Hokage and listen in on the conversation between the woman, Kazekage, and Sand Ninjas. Naruto was pacing in the hall in front of her, Sakura talking under her breath to Shizune every now and again. She could only catch bits and pieces when their voices rose. Obviously the thought of the Sound attacking scared them of entering another war. Who wouldn't be?

"And you're sure you can trust her?" Kankuro asked. Honing in on their voices carefully, Emi could hear everything behind close doors.

"Now that is the question," Tsunade answered. "She's the one who warned us of this impending attack, and if Emi were lying and this was all a set up why consent to every interrogation, training, and release important information that could benefit the Sound."

"Because she's a good liar. They all are. I mean, come on, you've met the likes of them. All of them are cunning. You can't trust them."

"What else would you have us do then?" The room grew silent.

"We cannot allow another drawn out war to take place like with Akatsuki," Gaara said. "Where we were blinding ourselves to the real matter at hand because we refused to believe it. That they were gathering tailed-beasts. That kind of destruction..."

There was no need to explain, the aftermath still visible in various countries. The singer's eyes picked up noticing that Naruto had stopped pacing and was staring at her. Emi quickly looked away, secretly surprised that she felt... embarrassed? Was that the right word? The Sound Ninja had never experienced such a thing.

Emi wasn't allowed to enter the meeting room when the Hokage called those in the hall into her office. Not that she was completely alone as Shizune sat at her desk and filed some paperwork. Easily, the older teen could listen in again. However, it felt wrong, especially since they had done so much for her already. Listening in on Brutus, she had no hesitation. Even when he thought he was in a secured soundproof room. She could still hear him.

Naruto and her didn't say a word walking back to his apartment. The Sand Ninjas were staying in Konoha for two days to devise a plan with the Hokage. The four would be locked in the room and to be left undisturbed, Shizune in charge of handling matters in the woman's absence. The young man wouldn't allow her to cook this time meaning their dinner would consist of noodles. Instead, she curled up on the futon with a book Sakura lent her on medical treatments.

"Emi?" Glancing up she realized nearly and hour had passed, taking the steaming bowl from Naruto's hands as he sat at the other end. "Were you listening?" he suddenly asked. Emi turned in his direction mid-chew, watching the Chuunin.

"Before you went in, a little. After, no. I didn't hear a word."

She wasn't lying he could see that. "Why?"

"If it was important you would tell me. Offending someone by invading their privacy is not why I am here."

Naruto grinned, taking another bite of his food. "Don't worry, we were talking about ways to trick the Sound into thinking we know nothing when the time comes."

"That's going to be difficult."

"We know, which is why we want to start now." Emi sipped at the broth. "So, what do you want to do tomorrow?"

Her brows furrowed in confusion. "Huh?"

"Tomorrow. What do you want to do?"

"You're... giving me a choice?"

"Of course, why wouldn't I? You've been trailing me around since you've got here. What's something in Konoha you want to see or something you want to do?"