Chapter 22

Chapter Song Inspiration: The Immigrant Song by Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, and Karen O

The Sound tried to regroup and fight back. Many were shaken, others teetering on the edge of madness. Brutus's eyes snapped open to find himself lying on the ground, panting heavily. Never had he felt a tinge of fear in years and struggled to comprehend it. But the man quickly pushed his thoughts away and broke through. "Stand and fight!" he shouted. Those around him snapped from their daze. "Make sure none survive! That was their last attempt to be rid of us! They have nothing left! Show them no mercy!"

With a newfound fire and determination the Sound attacked. Their leader grinned, killing a Leaf Ninja that came from the shadows of a destroyed building. "Nothing like her mother," he muttered. What he had experienced now was nothing compared to all those years ago. "Weak. As I have always said." After using two powerful attacks to drive them out the singer would be weakening by now. Especially when separating those levels between a handful of clones. He glared at their forms on the wall and continued to make his way towards the Hokage tower. Now that his 'daughter' was in no state to fight back someone within his ranks would be rid of her or would be easy pickings after he slaughtered their leader. If that were the case he'd enjoy slicing open her neck.

But of course none realized it was a trick, thinking that had been her strongest Genjutsu. That, that had been all Emi was capable of doing.

Oh, how wrong they were.

It echoed in the air causing Brutus to pause and think he was hearing things. That it was only coming from the noise of the battle. But when the Konoha and Suna ninjas' began to back away the man knew something was wrong as a sense of overwhelming suffocation began to fill him.

Slowly he turned, watching his men scream in horror and scramble away from their incline. And it came barreling around the corner, an ink-like mass that swallowed everything in its path and consumed them whole in the streets. And it was even beginning to seep through the exterior of the buildings.

"Ah!"

"Fuck," Brutus muttered.

"Ah!"

And the darkness took him.

"We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow..."

The force behind the ink hit Naruto like a tidal wave and he nearly lost his footing moving towards the gates.

"The hammer of the gods...
Will drive our ships to new lands..."

None were safe as Sound Ninja hit the ground faster than the other ninja had in training.

"To fight the horde, singing and crying...
Valhalla, I am coming!"

Something seemed to be emerging from the black ink, pressing against the thick surface. Those around it stumbled away, the Leaf and Wind Ninja taking to the rooftops since they still had their balance and bearings.

"On we sweep...
With threshing oar!
Our only goal will be the western shore!"

The fact that all from Konoha and Suna were moving to higher ground drew Naruto's attention, yet never strayed from his path and cut through any nightmare in his way.

"Ah! Ah!"

It was bubbling now the height beginning to clear rooftops and it made those in the Hokage building on edge by the sight. "Is that one person's fear?" Shizune asked. "Or are there too many and it's building up?"

"We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow!"

But no one could answer because they were unsure.

"How soft your fields so green...
Can whisper tales of gore...
Of how we calmed the tides of war...
We are your overlords!"

It finally broke through a beast of hideous proportions. With its long muzzle black ink seeped through its razor sharp teeth as it snarled, the rumble making the ground tremble. The creature was only half visible, lower back and legs still submerged, but it's talons for claws on the front paws were menacing enough.

"On we sweep...!
With threshing oar...!"

"What the hell is that?" Sakura shouted over the noise.

"Our only goal will be the western shore!"

"It's a fucking hellhound!" Kiba exclaimed.

"Ah!"

His arm shot out gripping the back of Shino's jacket to pull him out of the way before the beast's paw crushed him. Real or not the ninja wasn't talking any chances. "Don't touch it!"

"So now you'd better stop...
And rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing!"

The creature roared head bowing down into the streets and snapping around the screaming Sound Ninjas and swallowing them whole.

"Ah!"

It was obliterating everything in its path, drowning them in the darkness. Its claws crushed through buildings tearing them to shreds.

"Ah! Ah! Ah!"

Welcoming them into the madness.

"Ah! Ah! Ah!"

None could tell the difference between the nightmares and reality as smaller clones of the hellhound were released to run rampant through the streets.

"Ah! Ah! Ah!

And the Leaf and Sand Ninjas' covered their ears from the horrible noise of the hellhound as it shrieked and the cries of the enemy. None were willing to stop it in awe by its power.

"Ah! Ah! Ah!"

Naruto could see Emi's form clear on the wall, honing in on her chakra and picking out the real one.

"Ah!"

Pupils completely gone she was lost in the song, body swaying to the beat. And the hellhound seemed to lung through the river towards a platoon of unarmed Sound Ninja, who screamed in mercy.

"Ah!"

The hellhound crashed against the ground roughly, instantly liquefying on contact and merging into the constant flow of the black waters.

"Ah...!"

And slowly everything began to settle as the ink faded away leaving the enemy in ruins. The singer panted heavily, trying to regain her breath from the three attacks. She needed to get to safety. Find Naruto–

Emi's eyes went wide, body jerking as blood splattered everywhere. A strangled gasp escaped her lips as the spear ran through the diaphragm, the clones following her jerked movement as I they too had been affected. They disappeared one by one along the wall as Emi tipped forward falling into the Village.

"No!" Naruto screamed, lunging with arms out stretch. He didn't even spare the Sound Ninja a glance as Shikamaru ended him.

And in a puff of smoke she disappeared leaving a stunned ninja at a loss for words as the weapon clattered to the ground. Whirling around in panic he scanned the battlefield for any signs. "Emi!" he shouted. But it only got lost in all of the noise as reality returned.