Chapter 6

Chapter Song Inspiration: The Mission by 30 Seconds To Mars

A hawk soaring high above Konoha was the only indication to them that someone had arrived at the gate. Naruto had been beating out a rug hung over the balcony to his apartment when he saw the bird. "Emi!" he called. The older teen's head poked out of the kitchen where she had been scrubbing the floors from his failed attempt to make pancakes. The batter went everywhere. "We need to go!"

They were the last to arrive as the Kazekage and his siblings greeted those in the Hokage's office, Kiba scowling upon their arrival. Though the two chose to ignore the Inuzuka as they stood face to face with those from the Sand.

"We came as quickly as we could without detection," Gaara stated.

"Couldn't be too reckless," Kankuro added. "The Sound could be watching all of our movements to see if we're forming a more solid alliance to fight against them."

"And we can't have them know we know what's going on," Temari said.

"Exactly the reason this meeting is so urgent," the Hokage stated.

Gaara's eyes honed in on the singer standing beside Naruto. "You're the ninja from the Sound who defected?" he asked.

"Something like that," she answered.

"Are you on their side or not?"

"It would give me great pleasure to stop my father." The silence in the room was tense as neither wished to look away. Eventually, the Chuunin was the one to speak up,

"We trust her, Gaara... well most of us here anyway," he corrected after seeing Kiba's look.

"Emi has given us no reason to not trust her yet," Tsunade agreed. "But we can't wait around to see if these accusations are true or false. Our existence is being threatened."

"And with the coming events with the Sound it all matches up," Ibiki agreed.

Finally, the Kazekage looked away from the teen and Naruto could visibly see her relax out of the corner of his eyes. "You wished for us to see something?" he asked.

"Yes, this concerns what Emi has told us in regards to the Sound's gathering forces. They have abled bodied Chuunin, Jounin, and ANBU ranks... but a few days ago we had her spar against a handful of our Jounin and elite ninjas. Her levels as a Chuunin does not match what is expected for those who serve in the Kage Villages', they surpass it, and I think you should see for yourself. I worry what we could be facing if we think we're going up against the norm."

"What would you have us do?" Kankuro asked.

"I wondered if the three of you would like to spar against Emi, if she is willing to do it again."

"Yes, Lady Hokage," the older teen answered.

The Sand Siblings nodded in agreement. "How soon would you like to begin?"

"Now," Gaara answered.

Making their way out of the building and taking different paths to the farthest training ground so not to draw attention, Shino spoke up, "Are you actually going to join us today, Kiba? You might actually learn something."

"Why would I want to watch a Sound Ninja?" Kiba growled.

"So that way you know what you're up against if we go to war. I won't be saving your ass for being thickheaded."