Chapter 16

"So what you're telling me is that even without her voice, Emi is a skilled ninja?" Tsunade questioned. The Jounin had come to make his report, nodding in agreement.

"There's not a doubt in my mind with or without vocals she will be an asset on the field."

"You honestly think I would allow her to confront the enemy alongside our forces?"

The man cocked a brow. "You won't allow it?"

"I still don't trust her, even if she has been working with us in every possible way."

"If you pull Emi out the others are not going to like it."

"They've become too close to her," the woman mused.

"What would have us do then? Forbid they even speak with her?" No, the Hokage knew she couldn't do that. "You have every right to be questioning Emi, but even Kiba's begun to warm up to the idea of having her around."

"But we need to know for sure she won't turn on us. You've been involved in many missions, Kakashi, and the enemy will give you everything you ask for with a mask that blinds you to the truth and will only reveal their true colors when the time calls for it."

"I'm not getting that sense from this one. And even though Kiba is becoming more trusting of her appearance I know he's still on edge, they all are."

"Except Naruto."

"Can you blame him?" There was silence. "He has his own way of getting to know people, friend or foe. Besides they're not so different. He was once an outcast in his on Village like she is now."

"He's a danger to himself."

The man shrugged. "Maybe, but if Emi did try something the others have his back."

"You have a lot of faith in a girl you barely know."

"Because she's all we have to prevent our extermination."

----------

The hot water from the shower steamed up the bathroom as the singer stood under the steady stream with her head tilted back, eyes closed. She had finished bathing minutes ago, now just standing there and left to her own thoughts. Which wasn't necessarily a good thing. Thinking about the impending war, the Sound, the relationships made in Konoha, Brutus... her mother. "Forgive me, Mom, I'm not as strong as you were..." A sigh escaped her lips. "I don't even know what I'm doing anymore..."

A knock at the door startled the teen. "Emi?"

"Huh?"

"Are you all right?" Her brows furrowed. "You've been in there for a while."

The teen could've sworn it had only been a couple of minutes, but one look down at the pruned fingers told another story. "Sorry..." And the water shut off. Drying and dressing Emi's eyes drifted towards the couch where Naruto had finished packing up his weapon pouch.

"I have to complete a mission just outside the gates. Nothing major, but you won't be able to come with me. I was going to ask Sakura if she was free, but Kiba volunteered instead." He glanced over at the teen. "Is everything all right between you and him?"

"He hasn't given me a reason to worry," she answered.

"If you don't like it I can find someone else."

"It's fine, really. Don't worry."

Shrugging, the young man stood grabbing his jacket and pulling it over the white T-shirt. "Suit yourself, but don't feel like you have to."