Chapter 18

Perrie

"Perrie."

I spin in my chair as I turn to see my boss standing there. "Mr. Cowell. I thought you were away." I quickly swipe the tear and stand up as he enters the office.

"One day you'll remember to stop with the 'Mr.' bullshit." He slaps his hand on the doorframe and his face falls. "Meet us in the conference room in five."

"Yes, sir."

Without another word he strides out of the office.

Fuck my life.

Did he see me stumble on camera? Does he know I left the party early? Did Jade call and complain? He sure as hell didn't look happy to call me into the conference room. I grab my compact and fix my face as best as I can and head down the hall.

"Good luck, Perrie," I hear Melissa's shrill voice say as I pass her desk.

"Thanks." I smile and keep walking. I don't have enough patience for a verbal chess match with her today.

The conference room hosts the three partners of CJJ, the head of human resources, and the director of client relations. Well, this doesn't feel promising. My stomach rolls as the fear starts to travel through my body. Keep calm, I try to tell myself, but no one is smiling. I clear my throat and enter as they look up.

"Good morning, Perrie. Please have a seat," Mr. Jennings says and motions to the chair.

Mr. Jennings is the oldest of the three partners. He's barely in the office anymore and when he is, everyone walks around not speaking. I've only dealt with him a handful of times, but he's always been cordial.

"Thank you."

I smile looking around the room and everyone's emotions are well hidden. I can't get a feel on what exactly is going on.

"Let's get to it, Perrie," Mr. Cowell begins. "The board has been talking and we're very impressed with how you were able to secure the Raven account. More than that, when we reached out to Ms. Thirlwall, she had a lot to say regarding your work with the company." Mr. Cowell pauses and my heart stops beating.

She wouldn't.

Would she? Would she really hurt me this way? Ruin my reputation regarding work?

"Anyway," he continues breaking me from my inner meltdown, "She told us how you nailed down every aspect of the campaign and made sure everything was taken care of. You were on top of the press and the stock regarding her company during her life threatening shooting. She was impressed, and so are we." When he stops speaking, the partners smile at each other.

"Thank you. I'm happy the client was pleased," I say softly wishing she was still more than my client.

"The company is taking a new direction, and we're opening several satellite offices in the coming year."

"Wow. That's wonderful for the company."

"We think so too," Mr. Jeffries speaks for the first time. "Perrie, we want you to head up one of the offices. You've been instrumental to our growth and we think you'd be the perfect candidate for the new office in California."

"Oh!" I say, completely thrown off guard. Run an office? In California? "I don't know what to say." I let out a nervous laugh and look around. Talk about a curve ball.

"Well, there's a first," Mr. Cowell jokes and it helps ease the tension.

We spend the next thirty minutes going over the details of the new position and the generous pay increase. Ultimately, I would run the entire office and be able to take any of the staff I want from New York for support personnel or I can start fresh out there. The perks are great, and they're willing to supply me with a furnished apartment for six months until I find somewhere else or take over the lease.