vii

Keith opened his eyes. It was blurry at first but eventually his brain focused. He could see the dirty, sticky, black floor and the feet of a few alien prisoners if you can even call them feet. He slowly sat up, struggling to keep his weight on his right arm as he sat up. One of the other prisoners came to his side. He was a little shorter than Keith from first look. He had blue skin and a head the size of a football. Two blue eyes, two nostrils instead of a nose and a mouth like a human's. He had no hair on his head but four lumps going in a line on the top of his head. "Don't get up yet." He said, reassuringly. Keith looked around frantically, he couldn't see Sam anywhere. He needed to tell Sam all about Pidge. "Where's Sam?" he asked in a frenzy. The alien didn't reply so Keith asked his question again. "He was sent to fix the ion cannon. There's a 50% chance they won't kill him after." Keith was in disbelief at these new facts. "You need to rest." The alien said to Keith, helping him lie down again. "Pid- no, Katie is amazing and Sam needs to know that." Keith mumbled as he drifted into a sleep.

     After Keith had been sleeping for an hour, Sam was let back into the room of prisoners. He fell to the floor in exhaustion, breathing heavily. He was helped up by the same kind hearted being that helped Keith. Sam had a fresh wound on the back of his neck which he just laughed off as a scratch. "How's Keith, Zacar?" Sam asked the blue skinned alien. Zacar looked back at the boy fast asleep. "He woke up for a bit. Looking for you. I told him you might not make it out alive and he started to mumble. I led him down and he's just been sleeping. Poor thing. He's not been here long and he's been through a lot." Zacar said sympathetically. Sam slowly made his way to Keith and sat next to him. "He's strong. You can see that just from looking at him." He said.

     Keith's awoke because of the sound around him. He opened his eyes slowly. "Hi Keith." Sam smiled slightly. Keith moved his head up. "Don't sit up, you're too weak. Why is my daughter amazing? You didn't explain." Sam laughed slightly. Keith took a few attempts to speak, it felt like his voice was trapped in a vice and someone was tightening it, then loosening it but he eventually managed to speak. "Your daughter....is a paladin of...Voltron. Some...memories came back." Keith said in a whisper as he was too weak to speak as he usually would. There were a few moments of silence as Sam interpreted this fact. He smiled because of his new respect for his daughter. "What is she like now?" He asked Keith. Keith tried to sit up again but fell back down onto the hard floor. "She's smart like you said... She might be a different person to what you saw her as before. Her hair is short...and she goes by Pidge most of the time. That's all I remember sorry Sam." Sam smiled and wiped away a tear from his face. Listening about his daughter made him remember how much he missed her but he was also crying because he was so proud. His little girl; a protector of the universe. "I wish Matt was here to hear about how amazing his little sister is and how she's come to be. They were so close, Katie and Matt. Most siblings would never stop arguing but they hardly ever did. Matt taught Katie almost everything she knows about tech and he kept her safe. Katie showed Matt a sense of humour, before Katie did, Matt was always so serious. I miss them so much." Sam gently placed a hand on Keith's shoulder, without words, thanking him for telling him about his child. "We will get out of here Sam." Keith said. "And we will bring Matt. Then he can see what his sister has become." Keith smiled. Right now he didn't care about himself and now injured and weak he was. He wanted Sam to be back with his family.