Chapter Eight

"Don't you think you're moving to fast." Cassandra asked Aaron.

He sensed her nervousness and innocence. Aaron didn't want to take that from her, he knew once someone lost their innocence, they were never the same. Cassandra played with her unpolished nails.

"I'm just expressing my feelings." He assured her, a look a relief plastered on her face. 

"So tell me about your family." Cassandra said. 

"I'm the problem child. Ashanti's the normal kid. Victoria, she's the ultimate music prodigy. Darius is trying to fit in. I know he wants to do other things rather than play basketball." Aaron told her. 

"And whatever he decides you should accept him for that instead of putting him down, Aaron." Cassandra told him. 

Aaron shrugged his shoulders. He didn't care about what his brother did, as long as he was happy. That's all he wanted for his siblings. 

"Enough about me, what about you?" Aaron questioned.

Cassandra became stiff. She had never told anyone about her family that much. Other than her Aunt, she didn't really have family. Everything was a blur to her when it came to family. 

"My mom is in jail. Back in the day, she sold a lot of drugs to keep food in my stomach and clothes on my back. But my dad is dead. Shot and killed in a hit and run. I can't even remember what he looks like. All I know is that he was there for me when my mother wasn't." Cassandra felt Aaron's hands wipe her tears. 

But she didn't know she was crying. She missed her father. She missed him being protective of her younger self. All the life lessons he taught her. The father daughter weekends they used to have were gone. 

"It's okay." Aaron said bringing Cassandra closer into his chest.

A couple of hours later, Cassandra was back in her bed. The heavy covers across her face. She was tired after talking about her parents all those years. 

"Cassandra! Dinner's downstairs." Aunt Vye said coming into her room. 

Vye shook her head. She would not let her niece fall back into depression again over her parents. Aunt Vye pulled the covers back seeing Cassandra's still face. 

"Your mother wrote again." Aunt Vye said sliding the letter over to Cassandra as she ate her food. 

"I don't want it. Send it back." Cassandra said not bothering to read the letters. 

Over three long years Cassandra had not yet opened any of the letters her mother sent. She didn't even want to visit her mother. She never like seeing her mother in that state of mind. Being in jail changed lots of people. 

After dinner Cassandra sat on her concrete porch and dialed Aaron's number. The cold air nipped at her face,making her pull her hoodie further up her neck. 

"Hello." Aaron answered on the third ring. 

"Hey, I just needed someone to talk to." She admitted making Aaron smile. 

Aaron stopped shooting the ball around the court in his back yard just to listen. He was being a friend that he said he would be. 

"My mother wrote me a letter from jail, again." 

"Are you going to read it?"

"No, I haven't read any of her letters. I don't know why." She says. 

"Don't be scared to read them. You only get one mother, Cass. Make the best of it and just read the letters. It might be something important in it." Aaron replied. 

"I can't do it by myself." She said feeling her eyes get watery. 

Aunt Vye listened to their conversation through the door. She smiled knowing her niece found someone willing to listen. She then walked up the stairs and took out the shoe box full of letters. She knew Cassandra would want to read them sometime in her life. 

Now Aaron and Cassandra sat in his car in front of a  24 hour McDonald's. They were both silent but it was comfortable in a way. Cassandra's hands shook lightly as she took the top off the box. Aaron watched her. 

Cassandra took the first letter dating back to 2014. The year her mother first started writing to her. She opened the sealed envelope and a  page unfolded. 

To My Dearest Daughter, 

The court has given me ten years with no probation. You were eight when I first went to jail. I should get out once you turn eighteen. I have lost track of time in here. Everything is dark and dirty. I wish I could see you to apologize. Even as I write this I know you won't read it. Aunt Vye says you don't want to see me. 

I'm sorry. You've seen some things no child should ever see. I made you grow up faster than other children. You were robbed of your childhood. And I'm sorry. 

The letter stopped there. Cassandra put the paper back into the envelope and started to read the rest. It took her about a hour to read half of the letters. Aaron didn't even need to know what they were about. He was just there to encourage her. 

"You can take me home now." Cassandra said yawning. 

It was close to midnight. Cassandra had enough of reading the letters. At this point she just wanted to see her mother before she got out of jail. Aaron nodded his head and drove out of the parking lot. 

"Thank you." Cassandra said biting her lip. 

"You don't need to thank me. I know how important this was for you." Aaron spoke.

Aaron pulled up to Cassandra's house. All of the lights were out signaling that Aunt Vye was sound asleep. Cassandra took her  time putting her stuff away.  She liked spending time with him. 

Unexpectedly, Cassandra leaped over and gave Aaron a well needed hug. He chuckled and wrapped his arms around her lower waist. Cassandra didn't want to let him go. His skin was soft but muscular. And he was warm shielding the cold air away from her body. 

With one kiss to the cheek Cassandra left the car and walked into her house with a smile on her face. Aaron rubbed his cheek smirking and drove off. 

Authors Note: 

Ehh it's not my best. The next chapter will be when they go back to school. Fights and arguments will happen and something else unexpected. Vote and comment.