Chapter 3: Busted or Bustout?

Luke pulled his feet off the desk quickly, running over to the window. He flicked his cigarette out and pulls the window shut, it making a soft wooosh noise and then a thump and click as it hits the bottom of the ledge and locks. I quickly shuffle back to my seat and slouch down, crossing my legs and wiping my mouth on my sleeve, hoping to get rid of any noticeable smell hovering in my breath.

I turn around and see Luke already in his seat. It all happened within a matter of seconds. I start to give him a smile but stop myself.

What the hell am I doing?

I hurriedly scowl at him and turn roughly in my seat, but not before I see Luke giving me a puzzled look out of the corner of my eye. I ignore him. The door swings open with a crash as mr. Howle walks in. Close call

He shoots a look at us and stands at the front, snapping us to attention.

"I shall be leaving, family emergency, so I will not be here to serve out the rest of your detention. However,"

He says lifting a finger,

"Ms. Peters will be in the office, only a few doors down and I am sure she will not hesitate to come and check if she so much here's a peep from you lot"

He scowls at us, looking each of us hard in the eye before turning on his heel and walking military style out the door.

'Great' I think sarcastically

Ms. Peters is nice enough, actually she pretty amazing - not that I would admit it aloud - but she is strict when it comes to serving or supervising detention. Her motherly features become sharp and her once chocolate eyes turn to hawk lens. Although she is the kindest teacher I know, she take our detentions very seriously. after a, mr. Howle asked specially, and what mr howle wants, he gets. And secretly, everyone thinks they have a bit of a crush in each other.

The boys all let out a sigh of relief and turn their seats towards mine.

"I'm Calum, you already know Ashton and Luke. oh and that's Michael."

An -Asian I suppose- looking boy with a dark crop of hair speaks to me first and then point to another 'boy' with black and white dyed hair.

Kind if stripy like a skunk.

'Michael' looks a little annoyed to have been partially forgotten. He shoots a look at me and frowns, his eyes taking me in. I meet my eyes with his and glare at him, daring him, defying him to say something. He doesn't say anything.

He bites his bottom lip then snaps out of his thoughtful trance, he gives me a small smile and waves his fingers in my direction. I just stare at him.

He starts to turn a pink shade and Calum looks between the two of us. His eyes flicker to me and he says

" Well this is awkward."

You think?

"How bout I tell a joke?"

We all look at him like he's stupid, but he clears his throat and continues his eyes darting to mine before he starts speaking.

"Soooo.... A driver is pulled over by a policeman. The police man approaches the driver's door....

"Is there a problem Officer?"

The policeman says, "Sir, you were speeding. Can I see your licence please?"

The driver responds, "I'd give it to you but I don't have one."

"You don't have one?"

The man responds, "I lost it four times for drink driving."

The policeman is shocked. "I see. Can I see your vehicle registration papers please?"

"I'm sorry, I can't do that."

The policeman says, "Why not?"

"I stole this car."

The officer says, "Stole it?"

The man says, "Yes, and I killed the owner."

At this point the officer is getting irate. "You what!?"

"She's in the boot if you want to see."

The Officer looks at the man and slowly backs away to his car and calls for back up. Within minutes, five police cars show up, surrounding the car. A senior officer slowly approaches the car, clasping his half drawn gun.

The senior officer says "Sir, could you step out of your vehicle please!"

The man steps out of his vehicle. "Is there a problem sir?"

"One of my officers told me that you have stolen this car and murdered the owner."

"Murdered the owner?"

The officer responds, "Yes, could you please open the boot of your car please?"

The man opens the boot, revealing nothing but an empty boot.

The officer says, "Is this your car sir?"

The man says "Yes," and hands over the registration papers.

The officer, understandably, is quite stunned. "One of my officers claims that you do not have a driving license."

The man digs in his pocket revealing a wallet and hands it to the officer. The officer opens the wallet and examines the licence. He looks quite puzzled. "Thank you sir, one of my officers told me you didn't have a license, stole this car, and murdered the owner."

The man replies, "I bet you he's lying by telling you I was speeding, too!""

Calum finishes with a triumphant look aimed at all of us. He looks very proud if himself.

Lame

There was dead silence.

I swear to god there was crickets

"What?" he asks incredulously looking around at all of us.

"Don't you get it?"

'Oh, we get it' I think sarcastically

We would also get it if you would shut the fuck up.

But I don't say this because as I open my mouth to say a smart-ass response, Luke just looks at Calum, and frowns

" Just no, mate, just no"

Calum looks a bit hurt while Aston chuckles and shakes his loose haired head in amusement. Michael looks puzzled and clears his throat and says

" I don't get it" Now it's his turn to get stared at

"Well you see mate, the guy speeding lies and says all that stuff so that when....."

I hear Calum try to explain it to Michael but I tune out.

I'm fed up with this shit.

I grab my bag, stuffing my water in it and walk over to the white window. I open it quietly and take my bag off my shoulder and chuck it into the soft soil below. It labs with a thump. As I swing one leg over the sill, and sit on it saddle-style, I feel Luke's gaze on me.

"Abbi, What are you doing?" he asks, completely oblivious to the sound of Calum trailing off in the background. The four of them look at me puzzled.

What does it look like?

I shrug. "I'm busting out"

"If you bitches wanna join me I don't give a shit, but if you stay here, your either gonna die of bored for the next whatever hours, or your gonna be interrogated"

And with that I swing my left leg over the window sill and drop to the ground below.