Chapter 9: Buzzing thoughts

I can't remember anything but him, calling my name and giving me something outside a house. Whose house? what did he give me?

"Abbi? Abbi, the doctor said you would be able to hear me. I guess, I just feel kind of stupid talking to you when you can't talk back. Ummm.. so, the doctor said you may not be able to remember what happened so I guess I'll tell you. Uh.... well after I dropped you off at your house, you know after you bailed detention at school, I gave you my number and you went inside. Then I left and I got back to Michaels house, he lives a few streets away from you. Do you remember Michael. I know you can't answer but, umm, he's my friend, uh, if you remember anything about him, you would remember his hair. It's black and white striped."

As he speaks I form an image in my head. Yeah, I see him now.

"Anyway. I got to Michael house and then you called me. You sounded like you were in pain, I could barely make out your words. Uh, you said you had been cut and then I heard a thump and the line kind of, uh, went quiet. I basically rang the ambulance and rushed over and I found some guy, I guess your dad, you kind of look like him, he was, uh, on the floor and he had a knife. I thought he would do something but he just sat there rocking, saying something I couldn't understand. But then when I tried to get past him to go to you, he jumped up and, well, he punched me but I hit him back, I hope your not angry at me, and then ran into the kitchen and started smashing beer bottles or something." Then I guess, ah, the ambulance arrived and they took you to the hospital and they had to do surgery, and you lost too much blood so they had to put you in an induced coma. But then your ribs collapsed and they had to hook you up to a breathing machine. You have been in a coma for six weeks now. I just, I really want you to wake up soon. I.. I'm really worried about you"

A million things go through my fuzzy mind at once. I'm in a coma, my dad pinched Luke? Luke pinched my dad? I'm in hospital? I'm in a coma? I've been in it for six weeks? Luke misses me?

I really want to wake up too.

I calm myself. My buzzing thoughts filed into a box at the back if my brain.

I take as deep as a breath as my excruciating ribs will let me. The pinching in my hands bring me back to reality and I focus, focus all my energy unto myself, and slowly and unsurely, I fight the resistance. And I open my eyes.