39 - Happy New Year

Emily

Finally, I could wear my ring. Not on a necklace, not hidden by a jumper, not only indoors - actually on my finger outside.

To say I was excited was an understatement. We were on our way to the airport, the day after boxing day, to meet Danielle and pick up Michael and all I could do was stare at it on my finger. Ashton kept laughing at me and teasing me, but I blanked him out and carried on turning it round to look at it in different lights. It wasn't completely new to me, of course, but to be able to now keep it on there forever was making me excited as if we had only just got engaged. Plus, there would more than likely be photos later of us at the airport, and as stuck up as it may sound I couldn't wait to see them and show it off.

We didn't need to go to the airport with Danielle - she didn't even need to go herself, really, as Michael was (just about) competent enough to sort himself out - but it was a good excuse to see them both and spend time with them. So, while Michael was staying with Danielle, Ashton and I had booked a hotel for two nights near her place before we headed back to Mum's for a few nights and then went back home. There were no plans so far for what we were going to do, though I was sure we'd find something. Even if we ended up just wandering around aimlessly or staying at Danielle's the whole time, it would no doubt be fun still.

Danielle said she would meet us outside the main entrance to the airport terminal, and sure enough she was there stood waiting. Ashton and I hopped out the car and ran over to her and she hugged me as soon as I reached her, jumping up and down on the spot then grabbing my hand.

"Let me see the ring!" she squealed. Although she had known about it just as long as the others, there was only so much of the ring she could have seen over FaceTime. "It's so beautiful! And, oh my god, your little bump too!"

Now that I was only restricted by what I could fit into, as I still hadn't been maternity shopping, rather than what covered the bump well enough, I was free to wear what I wanted which was another thing I was excited about. That day I'd chose a tight-fitting top but that was still a light enough material to be comfortable, along with an open-zipped hoodie so I could show my bump off with pride. It still wasn't huge, but there was no point hiding it anymore, and I definitely wasn't going to try.

"I helped!" Ashton inputted and I rolled my eyes at him as Danielle laughed.

"How have you been?" I asked her as we started walking into the airport towards the arrivals. If the flight was on time, Michael should be there in about half an hour, maybe more if it took a while to get through all the security and baggage claims.

"I'm great! Everything at work is going great too - there's talk of sending a few people over to Australia again next year, so..." she hinted excitedly. "It would be so nice to see you all more, I've missed you lots. Especially Mikey...I can't wait to see him."

"He can't wait to see you either," I said. Ashton and I grinned at each other when she gave a sheepish smile and blushed.

"Enough about me though, how are you? I still can't believe you're pregnant - you guys are having a baby! I think I'm probably just as excited as you are."

"I'm not sure that's possible, but you do seem pretty excited."

"Do you have any photos? I saw the one you put on Instagram and it was just the cutest! You're actually growing a human being, Emily, oh my word!"

"Yeah, I have pictures. That's a silly question," I said and we both laughed. We sat down in a cafe for a bit and while we were there I showed her the images from the scans we'd had and answered all of her numerous questions. This passed the time quickly and before we knew it Michael had texted Danielle to let him know that he had just picked up his suitcase and was on his way. I could tell what the text was before she even said, from the way her eyes lit up and her smile grew just that tiny bit wider, and Ashton and I didn't need telling to get up and go. I was expecting her to break into a run, she seemed so eager to get to Michael, and Ashton daren't stop for any fans. Those that were there were promised by him that he would be back soon, but even as he slowed down to tell them we almost lost Danielle in the sea of people.