Consciousness

For a long time Avni's mind was in the dark. She then had a floating sensation along with an acute pain. And then she started hearing voices. Disjointed voices mainly. That eventually became one person's voice that she knew very well. That she day dreamed of at times. When she was in the worst of situations, imagining Neil's face and voice had kept her alive. Even though these men would say he's dead she would just smile on the inside. Somehow she knew Neil couldn't die. She would've known if anything happened. She knew it was irrational but she would've known.

Then she felt a sting - this was from the nurse injecting new medicine in her IV drip. In sometime avni started remembering where she was and started remembering Neil having gone alone in the building to fight the goons.

She tried to call out to him and tell him not to go. To stay with her. That she just needed him safe with her. That he was important to her. But only one word left her mouth weakly -"Neil..."

In a second Neil was by her side, holding her hands and looking at her with alert eyes. Avni felt her hand being kissed and instinctively recoiled as she was in a delirium and thinking she was still captive. Neil however held her hand again very gently and started trying to make her aware -"Avni? Main hoon. You're in hospital. Avni..? You're safe with me " ( I'm there)

Avni's hand became less stiff at this and she mentally also relaxed. Neil kept holding her hand a bit more tightly now as she opened her eyes.

Their eyes met and avni saw Neil's smiling but emotional face looking carefully at her. She also smiled at this but her smile couldn't travel beyond her eyes - the moment she tried to move her facial muscles she almost died of pain. And in the process her hand clutched Neil's tightly.

Neil reciprocated and put his other hand on her head -"Avni. Doctor ne Bola Hai bas relax Karo. You shouldn't make any sudden movements or facial gestures or it will pain like this. Thoda time lagega baby in becoming OK"( doctor asked to relax....it will take some time)

Avni -"tum thik..?"( You're OK?)

Neil -"Haan Mujhe kya Hua Hai. Main bilkul thik hoon. Bas thoda tired hoon. " (Yes what's happened to me? I'm alright. Just bit tired)
Saying this Neil smiled reassuringly to ensure avni is not worked up over anything.

Avni squeezed Neil's hand at this. Instead of smiling she found this a better way to express her feeling.

Avni relaxed into sleeping mode again. Neil suddenly remembered doctors advise and said -"hey. Doctor ne Kaha tha to feed you something when you're up. Ek second avni"( Dr asked to feed u when u up)

He uncovered the food tray kept by the nurse and pulled the couch (again) upto Avni's headrest. He then helped avni in a half sitting position which in itself was a five to ten minute job seeing her being dazed and neil not being at his best either. If Neil wanted he could have asked bebe or his dad for help but in this condition he wanted to be present himself with avni to ensure she is with someone she knows.

After settling her down, Neil got the tray. It was all liquid diet as avni couldn't have had anything else. Neil helped her take some food, she only took about half of the tray.

Neil -"Aur kuch kha lo. Bas itna Kam khaya to weak ho jaogi "( and eat something. You'll get weak if eat so less)

Avni made a sad face at not wanting to eat that food. Neil didn't want to force but said -"Achha ye khaogi to I'll smuggle your favorite chocolate in here!"( If you eat this..)

Avni looked at him and melted. She ate more of what was on the tray. When she absolutely couldn't Neil kept the tray and sat on the couch as avni looked at him with some questions in her eyes.

Neil -"I was very worried about you, do you know that. This guy who took you was the main accused in a case I was working on. You remember last time when I came to your house after the police raid covered in blood. It was this very same person. He wanted to take revenge and did it by..by trying to hurt you"

Neil just looked down for sometime post that.

Avni, speaking slowly -"accused of what?"

Neil -"many things. He was a human trafficker. A mob boss. A pseudo God man. Some kind of psycho. I've tried to analyze him a lot. But bottom line is he's a bad man. If I wouldn't have found you..then he would have.."..Neil's eyes hardened as he talked about it.."..avni..not finding you was not an option. You are my wife and he was my sworn enemy after I destroyed a base of his. He would've done the worst to take revenge. And I would've died before letting that happen."

Avni and neil Sat quietly for sometime after this. Trying to let it sink that they were this close to being separated forever. A lot of things had been left to chance that had worked in their favor. Such as the car fire leading to Neil's leg getting free and him escaping the explosion.

Avni finally said -"how long will it take to leave the hospital Neil. I really don't like it "

Neil smiled at this and came closer to her. He hugged her from the side and she leaned upon him. For this he had to sit on her bedside.

Neil -"bas tumko jaldi hi free Kara lenge iss jail se..". (We will free you very soon of this jail)

They stayed in the sitting hugging position for sometime when neil noticed avni was leaning hard against him now. He realized she needed to lie down and more rest.

Neil helped put her down and then started to move his couch.

"Neil. Abhi yahi raho na please " - (please stay) Avni said sleepily.
Neil looked at her and left the couch beside her bed. He also was very tired so he lied down and kept on looking at her sideways. As Avni's eyes closed Neil's closed as well and both of them slept a dreamless sleep.