20.

(flashback chapter. 35+ votes for update.)

~

winter eleven years ago...(age fifteen)

fuck, I swear it just keeps getting colder with every passing minute. it just dipped below freezing and i'm walking around at midnight in only my hoodie.

all I know is that aria practically begged me to sneak over to her house through her bedroom window tonight. she said that she'll leave a ladder up by the side of the window.

also, which I found really strange, she asked me to bring some type of makeup that I already forgot what it was called. i've never been over to her house, but she says her parents are kind of strict, so i'm extra nervous.

I jump the gate to the small backyard since they're on the corner of the street and land perfectly. I ate half an edible before coming here, so I hope she doesn't notice anything different about me, although i'm pretty sure she's too innocent to know anything about weed.

my mom wasn't even home tonight so it was pretty easy leaving my house. I climb up the ladder with no trouble and lightly tap on her window.

so far in this past year, i've seen her happier than ever. i'm glad she finally has someone in her life because she always alone. when you get beyond the guard she puts up, she's actually can be just as childish as me, but she's still pretty jumpy and always anxious.

lightly tapping on her window, she doesn't answer at first. it takes a minute or two for the window to actually open before she lets me in. as usual, she's dressed in long pants and long sleeves. I can barely even see her face.

"hi." she says quietly.

"hey, aria. what's up?" I ask.

"nothing, as usual. and by the way, the door's locked. did you bring the stuff?" she says and I can tell she's anxious from her tone of voice, even though I can't see her face.

"yeah, here it is." I hand over.

"oh good, thank you so much!" she quietly exclaims and throws her arms around my neck. I nervously pull her closer to me, she still doesn't know I have a huge crush on her.

"i'll be back in one sec, okay? i'm going to the bathroom." she tells me and I just nod.

she has a connecting bathroom to her room. I take off my hoodie and shoes since the heat is running and I don't want to get her floor dirty. I don't know what's wrong and why she's acting a little off right now.

I tip-toe to the bathroom door, where it's slightly cracked open. I know i'm being a total creep, but I know she isn't using the bathroom or anything. i'm just wondering why she'd need makeup on right now, she's never been the type to wear makeup.

peering through the crack, I gasp as I see her dim reflection through the mirror. she has a fucking black ring around her eye. who the fuck did that to her?

"aria, what the hell?" I whisper-shout, and she looks frozen.

"I-uh-they...um..." she looks everywhere but me.