23.

(40+ votes for next update ❤️)

~

abel's pov...

the next day

I watch aria intently beside me in the passenger seat as I drive over to my mom's house. without even asking her, I know she's a nervous wreck by the way she's fidgeting with her hands and tapping her thighs.

"aria." I announce and her head snaps over my way. "you're making me nervous over here."

"sorry, can't help it." she stops playing with her hands, but goes to chewing on her lip.

I try to reassure her once again. "she's not going to be mad at you. she's always loved you and will be happy for us."

"what if she hates me for all that I put you through?" she looks over at me. "I still can't forgive myself for everything I did to you."

I slowly park the car in her driveway before unbuckling my seatbelt and turning to aria. "babygirl, i've forgave you. you don't need to worry about that, okay?"

I peck her once on the lips and she just smiles back at me again. "okay then."

we walk up to the front door, hand-in-hand, and I ring the doorbell twice. I can feel aria shaking lightly  and I just squeeze her palm and stare at her, giving her a reassuring look.

the door opens widely and I'm greeted by the sight of my mother, and it feels like I haven't seen her in an eternity.  I immediately wrap my arms around her tightly.

"oh, baby, I haven't seen you in forever! I missed you so much!" my mom says to me as we share a long hug.

"I missed you too, mama." I say as we finally pull apart and she finally realizes I have aria standing beside me.

"it's nice to meet you, mrs. tesfaye. i'm aria.'" she timidly says and extends her hand to shake my mom's. my mom, of course, just chuckles at her and reaches up to welcome her in a big hug.

aria hugs her back and I can feel a small smile grow on my face when they break apart. I guess my mom forgot all about who aria was. 

"i'm so glad to see the both of you. come on in." she opens the door wider for both of us, and I gesture for aria to go in first.

as soon as I step in, the familiar sense of home sets in and I can already smell some of my mom's delicious cooking. we both take our shoes off and I lead aria, who doesn't appear to be shaking anymore, to the living room.

we both take a seat on the sofa and my mom sits down on the one right next to us. "honey, you didn't tell me you were bringing such a beautiful girl for me to meet." 

I can feel aria smile beside me and she responds, "thank you, mrs. tesfaye."

"oh, dear, you can all me samra." she tells her. "how long have you two been together?"

"we've known each other for a while now, but we've been together for a few months."

a random thought just came to me. how would aria tell my mom where we met if she asked? she can't just say, 'oh, abel was trying to pay me off to keep my mouth closed about an attempted rape and I threw my drink on him.'