Chapter 14

Sirens go off to my left. Men in black army suits pouring from trucks. A helicopter riding over our heads. The wind blowing through my hair as Optimus runs away from the incoming danger trying to get Sam, Mikaela, and I to safety.

Why are they doing this? How did Simmons find out about Sam and Bee? If they know about Sam did they know this whole time about Blue and Me?

Optimus looks over his shoulder at the pursuing helicopter and stepping around civilian cars. I reached over and tightened Sam and Mikaela' hands-on where they were gripping Optimus' exhaust pipes. "Don't fight the jarring," I advised. "Just go with it. Act like you're not riding on a giant robot." Trying to make the moment a little humorous.

"Now is not the time for jokes Lily!" Mikaela exclaimed, watching as the helicopters disappeared as Optimus took a sharp right turn. I just grinned with adrenaline rushing through my bloodstream, before bending my knees to absorb the shock of Optimus stepping down from something.

A quick look around told me we had practically doubled back: the overpass and road we had been in minutes earlier could be seen from where we were under a bridge. "Oh god," I murmured before clinging to one of the larger shoulder plates when Optimus reached up and grabbed one of the horizontal supports that ran along the underside of the bridge. Sam actually squeaked when Optimus effortless swung himself horizontal, hooking his feet on another support. Just in time too, for two helicopters flew under us, unaware of the 32-foot tall alien playing ninja on them.

"That's certainly a sight," I remarked to Sam as I watched the blurring, whirring helicopter blades. Sam nodded mutely as he and Mikaela held perfectly still across the exhaust pipe.

"Easy, you three, especially you sweetspark. I can't let you get hurt." Optimus murmured as his audio spun, looking to his right with narrowed optics.

I moved so that I was leaning down into open space, bracing myself with only my grip on an exhaust pipe and Optimus' helm and my feet dug into the crevices of plating. "Awe you're so sweet," I cooed but stopped when I felt a hand immediately get a death grip on my pants leg. My eyes were locked on the two searching helicopters swing about a hundred meters down the canal before slowing and coming back in our direction. I raised myself back up into a more secure position and held my breath as the copters passed under us yet again. And they were almost exactly under us when I saw a flash of color to my right.

I gasped as I saw Mikaela free falling through the air. Sam and I dove for her and I just barely missed her flailing hands while Sam got a solid grip on one. The only problem was that the extra weight unexpectedly pulled him off of his perch as well. I swear to God my heart stopped at the fear and panic combined between Optimus and me as I grabbed Sam's forearm.

I grunted to cover for crying out in fear as I too slid off of Optimus' smooth plating. My free hand reached out and grabbed the top of an exhaust pipe out of the new instinct thanks to OP's nonstop training.

"I'm slipping! I'm slipping!" Mikaela screamed.

"Oh, God!" Sam shouted.

"Hold on Mikaela!" I screamed.

I dug my nails into Sam's arm and tightened my grip on the cutting metal of the exhaust pipe as I watched the helicopter blades pass right under us. Only a few feet from Mikaela's kicking legs. "Hold on! Mikaela hold on! We have got you!" I bellowed.